1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SEATS??? Options?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by OZ132, Jul 14, 2008.

1. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We rented a 2008 Prius over the weekend to do a real and thorough test drive. We took a 400 mile trip to check out the car. The mileage was great!!! :):):)
    Everything was fine, and we would be looking to buy a Prius, except the driver seat position is awkward--for the wife and I, anyway.
    We are in our 60's. She is 5'9", I am 5"10" of average weight (I am 200lbs). We didn't think we were unusually shaped, and are perfectly comfortable driving most cars.
    In the Prius, the driver's seat/steering wheel position leaves us fatigued after a 100 mile drive. I felt like my arms neede to be about 4" longer (sort of like a monkey's) to holdthe steering wheel comfortably, with the seat adjusted for my legs. We tried all adjustments/combinations. The seats are also hard. We even tried a cushion. Nothing helps.
    Yet, there are no options? :confused:
    And no one is even discussing this????:confused:
    So, it's just us????:confused:
    Perhaps we are weird, but for the wife, at least, this could be a deal breaker.
    A $30,000 car with uncomfortable seats?:confused:
    Someone is missing the boat, here.:(
    Of course, who are we to complain, since you can't even find a Prius to buy around here anyway.
    Maybe we should wait for the 2010's????:rolleyes:

2. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, the Prius seats are just fine for me, I am 5' 9 and I have no problem in the seats, they are very comfortable to me and I like them very much. I just wish the door panel would have a little more wide space to rest my arm when I am driving. But the seats are wonderful, I love them.

There are many posts about the seats and comfort, if you do a search here you will find a lot of people posting about the seats, either people love them or hate them. I happen to love them. They sold me the car. If I would have sat in them and felt like I was sitting on the street I would have passed on buying this car. I came down from an SUV and liked that higher up feeling. So in the Prius I loved the very firm seats and that higher up feeling.

The Prius is not a $30,000 car, base price is only $21,000 it is the added options that bump up the car to be almost 30 grand. This is in my opinion an eco friendly car and not a luxury car. I think if you wanted a bit more luxury with the seats you might be more comfortable in a Toyota Camry Hybrid, and their base price Camry from what I remember is just at $30,000.

You might want to test drive a Toyota Camry Hybrid, you might like that better. I just would never spend $30 grand on a car, as I don't want to pay that much for a car.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you think no one is discussing options, then you didn't do much reading on this forum. There have been hundreds of posts relating to seat position, back supports, replacement seats, and the like. A quick search will give you hours worth of reading.

As for the driver's seat, I am 5' 7", with a 30" inseam, so my legs are fairly long for a short man. I had to fiddle a bit before I found a good seat setting. I use the seat back all of the way up, in the vertical position. This gets my arms closer to the steering wheel. I then set the seat a touch more forward than I would in a normal car, getting my arms a bit closer.

Most of my initial discomfort came from over controlling. The Prius takes a very light touch on the wheel, as the steering has almost zero dead band. Use a very light grip and relax. That will help a lot.

I got this from a quick search for "seats": [SIZE=-1]Results 1 - 10 of about 6,360 from priuschat.com for "seats"[/SIZE]

Tom

4. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Tom and Michelle,
    I just now registered for this forum, so I haven't been doing much reading yet. How can I do a search for more info on seats? When I typed in "seat" it gor me nowhere...
    Thanks.
    Mike

5. gdbelden

gdbelden Gator Hator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just returned from a 950 round trip on the Highway (Wash DC to NW Ohio)

No problems with the seats beyond any stiffness that you can get in any car.

5'11'
    30' inseam
    long arms / short legs

6. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are a couple of posts saying that the adjustable seats are available in other markets (europe). But as of yet no one has suggested a way to get one. I think there would be a huge market for someone to import them. At any rate here are my suggestions.
    -Foam pad under legs for tall people.
    -Foam pad for lumbar support for people with bad backs.
    -And my personal favorite for those without enough leg room, take off your shoes. I do this on long trips and it gains an extra inch or so and gives me just enough room that I can fully extend my legs... (i am 6'3")

It is sad that we have to take such measure with an otherwise great car.
    G

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Try using advanced google search for just priuschat.com. It works a lot better than the internal search function.

Tom

8. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Michelle, what did your Prius cost?
    All the two year old Prius's now on Carmax are priced above $27K. Not so good!
    Search results at carmax.com
    $10K still buys quite a bit of gas....

9. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hehe check out this one. 2005 for 24k
    CarMax Car Detail

10. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm 5'9" and my wife is 5'1" and neither of us has any problems with the seat. If the seats are that uncomfotable for you, then the Prius (at least the Gen II) is not for you. You will only get more and more disgusted with it until you finally sell it for something else.

11. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One Prius owner did a custom installation of Volvo seats in his car. The Volvo seats are extremely comfortable, but there are safety concerns with airbag displacement. Still -- very nice seats that I wish my Prius had.

12. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Prius seats are certainly not the most comfortable out there. They're a bit flat and of course can't be adjusted. Although a bit disappointed at first I've gotten used to them so they don't bother me. Perhaps you can try some foam (as someone previous mentioned) or a pillow to help find comfort?

13. CO2

CO2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

I would have to agree about the Volvo seats and thanks for this post. We have a 1989 740 Volvo with leather seats, and sadly, it has its engine issues and may be dying after 240K miles (loose rod, knocks, burns oil, etc). I see a future for those seats maybe.

Thanks for that input

14. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm 5'10" 175 and have short legs. The Prius has been quite comfortable for me. That's not to say everyone will have the same experience. The Prius cuts out weight wherever possible and motors under the seats are obvious places to cut. The Prius isn't for everyone. If it doesn't work for you there are other good choices which may not represent such a compromise (and, of course, will have lower gas mileage).

15. allemandeL3ft

allemandeL3ft New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm probably a FPO (future prius owner). HOWEVER, A few years ago I bought a corolla (04) and quickly developed sciatica as a result. I suspect that the seat position and lack of steering wheel projection played a large part in it. I fear that the current gen seats are very similar to the corolla's which means it's probably a no go. At the time I had to sell the car for enormous loss, just to get something comfortable (I went through one more car before landing up in my fuel guzzling Mazda MPV which is VERY comfortable due to 8 way adjustments.)

Surveying friends who had similar, Toyota cars, revealed a lot of back problems that seemed to correlate with their buying new vehicles.

Bottom line: I think the lack of flexibility is serious. I don't think people are calling for a motor, but for seats that can go up/down and tilt. Manual controls would be fine.

16. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm 5-9, 29" inseam, 200+ pounds (well, really ~230 :hungry: ).

For me, the only Prius deal-breaker WAS the seats. I found them uncomfortable, but everyone has their opinions (and back-sides). :sorry:

Like one or two others, I would suggest investigating the Camry (hybrid). My 2006 cost for brand-new fully-equipped '07 TCH was 31K. (NAV, leather seats, Sunroof, etc.)

IF the '10 or '11 Prius has height adjustment and more comfortable seating (for me) :pray: , I may make the change. Otherwise, I'll continue with the TCH. :Cry:

17. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All things come to he(she) who waits!
    Just picked up a 2010 Prius III and we both love it. Adjustable drivers seat. Adjustable steering column. Now was that so hard?

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

18. GreenPri2009

GreenPri2009 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting Oz132, as I too rented a Prius for a long trip and researched it thoroughly before buying one. I am 5'8 and my SO is 6'2". Knowing ahead about some of the posted complaints, we were shocked to find how comfortable the front seats are (we never sat in the back). Of course, you must know about the tilt steering wheel which I fine-tuned before getting it to a very comfortable position.

I saw on one of the posts that the 2010 improved the seats so perhaps go for that.

Sadly, we paid $26,200 for our 2009 Prius package 6. That was after an hour's negotiation only to get them down $200. Of course, they knew if we weren't buying it, there were plenty of others who would and they only had 13 on the lot. We justified the cost by getting the 0% financing.