1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Second blown speaker in 20,000 miles!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by quotemstr, Mar 7, 2009.

1. quotemstr

quotemstr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Soon after buying my 2008 Prius (package 3), I noticed a rattle coming from the center console speaker, and had it replaced. Now at 19,500 miles, I noticed the passenger-side door speaker sounded horrible, and that through the speaker grille, I could see that the cone was warped compared to the matching speaker. What's going on? Is there some deeper problem with the stereo that's making it blow speakers?

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There aren't many complaints about the center speaker blowing, since most people disconnect it pretty quick. I think you just may have been unlucky with 2 of them going out. Not sure how serious you are on sound, but this may be a good opportunity for an upgrade :)

3. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    seriously, i havent blown any speakers........YET........(knock on wood) and i've cranked metallica on 40+ when i have bad days. interesting thread though.

4. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Creased speaker cones often occur due to overexcursion, caused by very high bass boost.

Typically they'll distort before they're damaged. I presume you didn't hear distortion, or that your musical choices have so much distortion you can't tell.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does your amp go all the way to 11? :D

Tom

6. quotemstr

quotemstr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's just the JBL stereo system. What settings are safe?

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That was a joke in reference to This is Spinal Tap. In that mockumentary one of the band members was very proud that their amplifier "went all the way to eleven" where most volume controls stopped at ten. Obviously it's completely relative and therefore silly.

Tom

8. quotemstr

quotemstr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh, that's a fantastic film. I was just replying to the post above yours. Any mine doesn't even stop at 11 -- it goes up to 63. :)

9. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The fact that you know it goes up to 63 may explain the small speaker issue you are having!
    To all those folk whose autos I can hear a block away, enjoy Tinnitus, its caused by subjecting yourself to repetitious OVERLY LOUD noise, I.E. music, jack hammers, the drone of a couple hundred muffin fans all spinning their little impellers to their death in a confined room! It will occur, a little later in life, but surprise, it's coming!

Don't get me wrong I put myself through collage mixing sound for bands. Great gigs all, Some of those boys were way loud!
    I love to crank it up. Still attend 7 to 10 concerts a year. That being said I am now paying for it!!!

1 person likes this.