1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Second Source Car Alarm

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by eer002, Nov 14, 2007.

1. eer002

eer002 New Member

I originally placed this in a reply to one of my questions, so I don't think it got the exposure I wanted to. I'd like your feedback regarding a issue I'm having with my second source car alarm placed in my Prius by my dealer before I bought the car. The car did not have an alarm from the factory.

Here's the story:

1. When I open the door and lock the car with the drivers side armrest door lock button, I get three low volume horn beeps - I'm ok with that. Now -when I close the door, I get three 1 second full volume horn beeps, which draws attention (including a police officer once!). Can I ask what others get as a sound when doing this ?

2. Second- I was in a questionable neighborhood - so - I got in my car and immediately locked the doors using the drivers armrest door lock. Started the engine as normal- and the alarm goes off !! Could only silence it by repeatedly pressing on the unlock button on the key fob.

I was wondering if a factory installed alarm works like this (I doubt it).

3. When the dealership installed the alarm, they placed a small red pushbutton on the drivers kick panel, about 3 inches forward of the emergency brake pedal. I've bee told "it's for programming the valet function and 'don't mess with it' - Of course, that boat sailed a long time ago as I pressed the button while I was vacuuming the car. No, there is absolutely no documentation about this anywhere (including the dealer).

As far as I'm concerned this is an inferior alarm system that I didn't ask for, didn't pay for (as an added item) and had been put in all cars on this dealers lot that didn't have alarm systems.

The dealer said I have two options - live with it or they can disable it. I'm thinking of a third, and it involves a letter to Toyota, as well as the dealership General Manager. I need your feedback before I send this letter to understand the normal operation of a factory installed alarm.

When I run into situations like this, I am not the type to just let it die - I know there are others who bought from this dealership with the same problem. It gives a bad mark to Toyota, even though I know each dealership is independently owned. That's why I think Toyota should know about this. I don't care if they don't do anything about it except to let the dealership know.

Your help is appreciated - I read these forums everyday - lots of great info. thanks

2. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    But it got exposure--and an answer.

You have an after-market alarm on your Prius. Unnecessary. Write as many letters as you like--the responsibility is yours as you bought the vehicle as configured, in my opinion.

Read the Owners Manual from cover to cover to understand the intricacies of the vehicle and you'll start to understand how completely different it is, starting with the keyless fob. Then you can go ahead and be outraged or show your fanny or whatever else it is you decide to do--at least you'll have an understanding of just how useless a car alarm is. If the bad guys are at all savvy, they'll hold you at gun point, take the key fob from you, and keep from disabling the car. If not, at least they'll snatch it while it's running!

All joking aside, the after market alarm is of no practical use, like most of them, except to call attention to the car as it's being driven off.... Or sitting in the parking lot pissing off the people around it even more than they already are...

It's an angry world out there. Be different: Smile.