1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Secrets of the fuel tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by egret32, Dec 8, 2004.

1. egret32

egret32 Junior Member

Could someone explain a bit more about the bladder, the tank, and the various fine points of how to best fill and get the best mileage? Thanks!

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Re: Secrets of the fule tank

You'll probably receive a technical reply shortly. I fill the tank until the nozzle stops and then continue slowly until rounding up to the next dollar. Works all the time and it's good for 450+ miles.

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A little more technical, but not a lot :)
    The bladder is kind of like a balloon in a can. It expands when you fill it and contracts as you use gas. The purpose is so that gas vapors don't form in the empty space as the gas is used, thus reducing possible emissions. I presume it lessens the chance of an explosion as well since it is the gasoline vapors that explode. Liquid gas just burns :)

I think the current wisdom on filling is not to go full bore, but one click back on those pumps that have latches so you don't have to hold it. When it clicks off, add the rest somewhat slowly so the bladder isn't forced beyond its 'full' size. Doing so can result in 'spit back' when you pull the nozzle out of the filler tube.

I use this method combined with calculating the expected minimum I can put in based on the computer MPG and mileage driven. If it was TRULY full the last time, I shouldn't be able to put any more in than that. I'm not sure it has been TRULY full as I have squeaked up to the nearest $0.25 or whatever without problems.