1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Security Alarm too quiet? Does alarm trigger shut down?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by crtolin, Jun 20, 2005.

1. crtolin

crtolin New Member

We have a 2005 Prius and love it. Apparently not everyone does - it was keyed this weekend in front of our house :( . This triggered the car's alarm, which is not loud at all - we didn't hear it until we went outside to drive it. Anyone know how to make the alarm louder?

Also interesting - after the alarm, we could not get the car to start. No power whatsoever. Could only get the front doors open. When AAA finally came, we just started the car (imagine how embarrassed we were). Anyone had this experience before?

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do you have the glass-breakage sensor, or some other alarm option?

All my car seems to do is yell if the doors are opened without being unlocked first. Triggered it once by not getting out of the locked car for more than a few minutes after parking. Horn beep is all I heard, but I was too busy trying to shut it off to determine what else was going off...

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if the car is pointing away from you, it's extremely quiet. try to have the front of the car point towards where you are as much as possible. If you are in front of it, or at least mine, it's really loud.

you could always install an extra horn in the back.. blowhorn if you want.. but it would be tied into the normal horn.

4. crtolin

crtolin New Member

Thanks. It's possible we have the glass breakage sensor, I'm just not sure (We have package #9). Anyway, I appreciate the help.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you look at the front of the car, through the grille, the alarm horn is to your left (i.e. the right side of the car). I thought it's reasonably loud but then again, your house might be quite soundproof.

I would suggest getting the glass breakage sensor if someone decides to break-in.