1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Security indicator

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by wsnurse, May 15, 2013.

1. wsnurse

wsnurse New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi

I have a 2010 Prius IV. Yesterday, a new indicator started to flash after I turn off my car. It is an image of a car and lock. I checked in my manual and it appears to be related to immobilizer system. I have the smart key and it is flashing this indicator and beeping with both smart keys. I called a Toyota dealer and it sounds like it is just my security system activating after I turn off my car. The man said it was normal and it should have been doing this long-term. My car has never beeped and flashed this indicator until yesterday. Is it something I should be worried about? Does this mean my security system has never been activated until yesterday??? The guy thought I was crazy when I told him it had never flashed before.....Thanks for your responses!

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It should have been flashing from the beginning. The dealer rep is right. Now why it wasn't I can't tell you.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You wouldn't be the first (or second, or third, or fourth) Prius owner to not notice this blinking light until months or years after acquiring the car.

But if there is a pattern where these lights really weren't blinking from the beginning, we haven't yet had any verification.

4. wsnurse

wsnurse New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does the security alarm "activation" beep too? It beeps at me whenever I turn off the car and open my door. It never used to beep unless it didn't detect the smart key in the car. It is possible I didn't notice the alarm in the past, but I can't imagine how I could not have noticed the beep when I opened my door (and the flashing indicator). The beep is what made me notice the flashing alarm indicator in the first place....

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have an separate optional security system, only the standard immobilizer, so can't answer for any security beep.

By my car does beep if the sun roof is not fully closed.

6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The car beeps when I lock it and the lights flash.

7. Philius Prius

Philius Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This just happened to me last night. I have a 2010 Prius and was in a hard hit car accident a month ago and there were 12k of repairs done. So I am hyper aware of the lights and know all the major ones but had to look the Security indicator up online. I'd never seen it before. It started flashing last night when I turned the car off. I assumed it meant take it back to the Toyota body shop; they missed something. But reading your post I think it was supposed to be flashing all the last 4 years?!