1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seeing average MPG on display on Prius 2?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by adavidw, Jan 7, 2013.

1. adavidw

adavidw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2012 Prius 2 as a long term rental right now while my '09 gets unwrinkled from a recent crash.

I can't find any way to display the average mpg like I can on my '09. The multi-information display on the upper dash just toggles between the settings screen and the trip odometers; nothing up there about fuel consumption. I assume that's because the car has the Display Audio stereo, and such information would show up on the stereo's screen. However, the stereo only toggles between the energy flow screen, and the 30 minute consumption bar graph, neither of which show what the average mpg would be since last reset like my '09 does.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just not something that's available on the lower end car/stereo combo?

2. emorydptt

emorydptt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toggling between different trip displays will show the MPG for that particular trip odometers.

3. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Trip A and B have an average MPG, but they will only be displayed in certain screens on the MID. If you you toggle to the HSI display, that one will show you average mpg in each trip.

4. adavidw

adavidw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the problem, I can't find any way to get the HSI display on the MID, either. Am I SOL?

5. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In the 2nd generation there was just the MFD (navi screen), but in the gen 3, the MFD only has a few pieces of info, and now there is a new screen on the dash next to the speedometer called the MID. Press the "disp" button on the wheel to toggle between MID screens which include HSI, then toggle trips.

6. adavidw

adavidw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know where the MID is, but the "DISP" button is not getting me what you say it will.
    Here are the only two screens I can get out of the MID: IMG_1281.JPG IMG_1282.JPG
    In the first screen, hitting "TRIP" just toggles between the odometer, trip A, trip B, and blank. Hitting "DISP" just toggles between the two screens represented in these two pictures (the one with the trip odometer, and the one that says "SETTINGS (PRESS AND HOLD)")

So, what am I doing wrong here?

7. adavidw

adavidw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For further reference, here's what I get when I press the "CAR" button on the stereo.
    IMG_1283.JPG IMG_1284.JPG
    Pressing the "Consumption" or "Energy" button toggles between the two screens, but neither of them show anything about average MPG.

Adam Leibovitch likes this.
  8. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The MFD is normal, they have removed the avg mpg in the gen3 in favor of cruising range. Not sure about the MID though, maybe someone will chime in. It seems very bare.

9. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had a chance to go to play with the buttons in traffic. The screen is set to "off". You can change it by holding the display button to enter settings. Press "disp" until you get to "display off" and hold "disp" then toggle to "on" and hold "disp" again. Should fix it.

How long do you have the loaner?

10. adavidw

adavidw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that's confusing in a number of ways. The setting is actually labelled "SCREEN OFF", and I never selected that, because the screen is obviously on, and I didn't want to turn it off. Then, when you select the "SCREEN OFF" item from the menu, you have two choice, "ON", and "OFF". So, if I select "ON", am I turning the "SCREEN OFF" setting "ON", thereby actually turning the screen off? That's the way my more literal mind would process it, but no, selecting "SCREEN OFF", then "ON", restores all of the fuel consumption and energy display functionality.

Since it's not actually controlling the behavior of the screen itself, but rather what's displayed on it, the menu item in settings should be labelled something like "DETAILED ENERGY INFO" or something like that with two items in the sub-menu, "DETAILED INFO SCREENS ON", and "DETAILED INFO SCREENS OFF".

The wording on this menu item is just making the user interface geek part of my brain cringe.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Adam Leibovitch likes this.
  11. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I totally agree. I never knew it did that, until I tried to duplicate your screenshots. Japanese menu translated to english?

But the real question is how was the milage? You can probably do much better now with the HSI.