1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seeing the USA: My 1st Prius Mod - Anyone Tried This?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mister Swigart, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Mister Swigart

Mister Swigart New Member

I intend to use my Prius as a vehicle for two -- my wife and myself -- and our two dogs. I will commute alone each day to work, but in the summer we will travel together long-distances cross-country (USA).

So, I put the seats down, bought a long roll of heavy carpet, put 4-grommeted holes in one end and strung it up with the 4-posts of the headrests through each hole. From the headrest, the carpet sweeps down and back to the stern. I have carefully cut the whole thing to fit as precisely as possible the ins and outs of the cargo space. This is where the dogs will stay during all trips. Anyone tried this?

The passenger area up front on the other side of this carpet, has access to the foot area of the backseats, serving as an added driver and passenger cargo space between and behind the seats. I would like to put a durable mattress in the back with a bolstered surrounding to make a little "padded-cell" back there, all below the window to keep maximum visibility. Tinted windows will make for privacy during naps or occasional over-night bivouacs.

I would like to travel to visit notable historical and scenic sites in America and Canada.

I need help and suggestions concerning using a laptop computer on board. Isn't there some way to link with a satellite to access the Internet. I would like to read and research about our itinerary as we go. A swing away laptop mount would be nice for this. Other wise I will have to park at Internet Cafes along the way.

My wife and I are on the Nutrisystem and these prepackaged foods could be microwaved in a small portable microwave, making eating-on-the-go a breeze with vegetables, fruits, and drinks the only "kept" foods. Anyone have knowledge of a good portable microwave, off hand? (I will Google, too).

Of course, we will take time-outs to dine and stay in motels regularly but part of the time we will be "live-aboards" much as we used to do with our small sailing yacht.

I would open this thread to any and all suggestions and like-experiences others have already learned from in their Prius travels. I am also open to links to threads or discussions from past forum postings that may deal with these. I have tried the search feature but have not had much luck, yet.

Well, thanks in advance for helping an enthusiastic newby!

2. Prius07Pkg4

Prius07Pkg4 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Lone Ranger @ Feb 21 2007, 09:35 PM) [snapback]394393[/snapback]</div>
    Search for EVDO I think Sprint, Verizon offer under US $70.00 per month. You drive, your wife surfing etc...

3. SunnyvalePrius

SunnyvalePrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius07Pkg4 @ Feb 21 2007, 11:06 PM) [snapback]394412[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, EVDO is a good option. Something similar is HSDPA service from Cingular. It ranges in price from $20 for a modest number of MB per month to $60 a month for unlimited service. Cingular markets this under the DataConnect brand (look under the Business Services section of the Cingular web site).

The Sprint, Verizon, and Cingular services are all similar to cell phone service -- good coverage in urban areas, but spotty coverage as you get away from civilization. In fact, they are really just extensions of the cellular networks these companies already run.

Another option is mobile satellite internet service, which can be used anywhere you have an unobstructed view of the sky. There are two main types of service when it comes to satellite internet: low-Earth orbit (LEO) and geosynchronous. Each type is available from more than one provider. LEO service is provided by Iridium and Globalstar. The LEO services were designed originally for voice and now provide low-speed data service over the same infrastructure. The LEO systems have the advantage of using smaller antenna and lower power systems. The geosynchronous providers generally have higher bandwidth but larger, bulkier antennas. The geosynchronous systems would probably be harder to use while driving.

The satellite internet (and phone) services are sold through a number of resellers, not generally by the companies that run the service. Here's an example of a reseller that has information about several satellite internet services, including pricing:

http://www.outfittersatellite.com/

4. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Lone Ranger @ Feb 21 2007, 09:35 PM) [snapback]394393[/snapback]</div>
    I did this for the dog reason as soon as I got my '04 and it worked very well. The only mod I did was to slit the added (rubberized dormat) carpet between the seats so the back seats could operate independently for the occasional third rider. works great.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hey sounds like a great summer. now if you have verizon wireless, there is another option that you might look at depending on the type of phone you have.

if yours is EVDO capable (means it can access high speed network and you would see "EV" icon on top line of your display) you should check for a mobile office kit. this allows you to attach your cellphone to the laptop and use as a modem. the kit runs $39.99. the service is $59.99 a month its called broadband access connect. there is no contract requirement on it so it can be added or removed at any time.

drawbacks. cant use phone while connected in this way (easy to get around if you have two phones. i just forward the connected number to the other phone. will undoubtedly have to get a car charger ($29.99) but probably a good idea anyway.

your other option is to purchase a dedicated aircard for use. advantages is that it does not tie up your phone. does not require that you have a phone that will do this. (if not eligible for an upgrade, it would be expensive to do this)

disadvantages: a two year contract is required. the price is the same.

now the EVDO network is expanding and covers most metropolitan areas. in more rural places, you would drop to national enhanced service areas. (on this you will see "1X" on your display.) this covers about 85% of the country and as long as you avoid states like Oklahoma and certain parts of the south east, you will find this coverage very widely available. it is slower. average speeds are just over dial up. but still works. no satelite latency issues

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    For the microwaving part, I suggest that you purchase a 1 kilowatt pure sine wave inverter. This will cost about $300. It should be able to power any microwave oven with 600 watts "cooking power" or less. The less-expensive modified sine wave inverters may not operate a microwave oven successfully.

The inverter is connected to the 12 volt system, requires a bit of care in installation, and can only be used with the Prius in 'ready'.

I use one in this way, primarily for electric coffee while car-camping. Another trick is to fill a crock pot prior to a long drive and have hot dinner ready at the end.

7. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Lone Ranger @ Feb 21 2007, 10:35 PM) [snapback]394393[/snapback]</div>
    thats cool that you were smart to make your own, but if ever you are disattisfied or maybe the carpet doesn't fold out of the way enough, petsmart has the same thing in a lighter weight rubber mat, I will be getting one on Wednesday for my New Puppy, Byron a chocolate lab, he is the BEST!!!

8. Mister Swigart

Mister Swigart New Member

I would like to say thanks to all who responded to this, my first post, in the main forum. You have all given me much food for thought. I have my research and Internetting cut out for me this weekend. I am very impressed by the expertise shown here at these forums (I've been reading quite a bit, here.). I welcome any other comments, suggestions, or warnings.
    Thanks to you all.

[attachmentid=6691]

Attached Files: