1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seems like a newbie problem, key won't come out of key fob

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by rogerSC, Apr 26, 2022.

1. rogerSC

rogerSC Member

I've been a Prius owner for a long time, but this is a ground zero, newbie-sounding problem. Can't get the mechanical key out of my key fob. I press the "Push" button as hard as I can, but the key will not slide out. I'm not a weak person, so I'm wondering if there's some trick to this.

I've tried this on both key fobs, can't get the key out of either. I've replaced the battery on the 2005 Prius key fobs that I had several times over the 14 years that I had that car, no problem. It had a much easier releasing mechanism for the key, though. This one, a 2015 Prius v, just will not allow me to remove the mechanical key.

So are you supposed to press the "Push" button in some particular way, or is there some release for the key that I'm not aware of. I need to replace the battery in one of my key fobs, so this is really frustrating.

Thanks!

2. rogerSC

rogerSC Member

Never mind, found that if I pressed the button at its lower end, the key finally released. Seems like that might be noted somewhere.

Tough being a newbie after 17 years of Prius ownership *smile*.

Doug McC, ColoradoBoo and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!

it's the little things in life :p

rogerSC likes this.
  4. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad you got it! I have a lot of those "dup" moments! When I first got he Prius in 2017, I quickly learned to listen for her warning beeps because I left her parked outside of work while she was still on! (And more than once!) And I'm very appreciative she won't let me lock the key fob in the car or I'd've done that more than once!

Doug McC and rogerSC like this.
  5. Ah nice job, what is life without those moments :) And like Colorado was sayin, touching the handle to lock the car, with the key inside, makes the car long-beep before it lets me back in. I wish where I live would do the same at the front door, would have saved me to fish for the spare key in the winter :LOL:

ColoradoBoo likes this.