1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

self dimming mirror

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Arrallen, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Arrallen

Arrallen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :( My wife is disappointed that our Prius did not come with the self dimming mirror with compass. Of course real men don't need no stinkin' compass but to keep the little lady happy I thought I look into it. Question is are all the Toyota self dimming mirrors the same and is it hopefully a snap to install.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Well, i wouldn't say a snap, but you can install the homelink self dimming mirror - others have. The one that comes with the higher level packages, however, doesn't have a compass - just the garage door opener. All thats required for mounting is to physically mount it (i can't imagine it's that difficult) and tap into power.

3. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The auto dimming mirror in mine has the homelink feature but no compass. I don't know if Toyota offers the auto dimming mirror w/compass for the Prius. You might have to go aftermarket with Donnelly or Gentex.

4. Pious

Pious New Member

The Japanese version comes with auto dimmer and compass, but no Homelink. You can get it from sigma I believe.

5. Arrallen

Arrallen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL Buckeye @ Nov 3 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]343231[/snapback]</div>
    We were pretty sure the Prius we had our demostration in had a compass in the mirror. I don't need the Homelink. Anybody else have a Prius with a compass?

6. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As Pious mentioned, you can get a mirror from sigmaautomotive.com with just the compass for $173 plus shipping. eBay venders also have them. And there are install writeups for the Prius available.

7. gizmowizard

gizmowizard New Member

Our 2007 Prius has the auto dimming mirror with homelink but no compass.
    I doubled checked the options on the Toyota website and their 07 Prius brochure and there was no option for a compass.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Arrallen @ Nov 3 2006, 10:09 AM) [snapback]343319[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but it's on the MFD as part of the NAV system. I haven't heard of a compass on the mirror in the US from the factory (ie, no Sigma or other aftermarket).

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    US Prius don't have compass. Get one from the Corolla or Camry. However, those mirrors won't have Homelink.

If you want it all, you'll have to order from Gentex.

10. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There is a compass in the NAV map.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 4 2006, 02:39 AM) [snapback]343695[/snapback]</div>
    The OP has Pkg #1 which I'm sure doesn't have nav.

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 4 2006, 02:39 AM) [snapback]343695[/snapback]</div>
    In addition, there is a full screen compass viewing option with the NAV.

13. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If a person is concerned with knowing what cardinal heading they are traveling, then it seems to me they would be interested in the NAV system too.

14. Fatfenders

Fatfenders New Member

Well...you already know about the compass from previous replies. Here's a thread about auto-dimming mirror with Homelink if you want to install your own - http://priuschat.com/Electrochromatic-Mirr...ions-t8438.html

I just installed one in about 2 hours. Refer to the link or links noted in the above thread.

On a scale of 1-10, this was about a 3. Pulling the dash apart on the "oh no, what did I get myself into? scale, about an 8. Once you're into it, it's no biggie. Just follow the directions and work slow. Pull panels off in the exact manner and direction indicated.

Mike

15. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually look to see from where the sun is rising...that's East.

The converse of this is when the sun sets...that's West.

Between the two is North and South.

At night, I carry a sextant.

I've always wondered why it's a big deal to have a compass in a car. I mean, it's not like a boat, where you can go in any direction, right...? Has anyone actually looked at a compass in their car and figured out anything about how to get to their destination? And what if you're heading, say, Southwest, when your destination is to the Northwest? There's not much you can do but look for another road that heads Northwest (for how long, who can say?) and follow *it.*

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Whenever someone mentions an in-car compass, the only thing I can think of is some older man with an Airguide compass suction cupped to the windshield of his '67 Buick 225.

16. RW5207

RW5207 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I installed a Gentex electrochromatic mirror with a compass in my wife's 1G Prius over the holidays. Took me about 2 hours. Had to purchase a button to glue to the windshield, but it looks and works fine. Covered up the holes from the original with some tan colored screw finish caps.

17. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 14 2006, 07:51 PM) [snapback]349097[/snapback]</div>
    Hi PintoGirl,

Here in the midwest there can be many days in a row of overcast weather, especially when the temperature gets below the dew point. In a warm winter this happens allot. During these times rain falls, and that recharges the soil moisture without the need of irrigation. Then the farmers can grow corn for Ethanol fuel. :rolleyes:

When one is out on a featureless farmland stretch of road, it can be advantageous to have a compass to know the last turn you made was correct. It can be 10 miles to the next cross-roads, where you then discover you need to turn around and backtrack. The road signs sometimes only say like "2500" for county road 2500 . And each county has their different scheme for numbering, and each town will rename the road you are on as you go through it. In some areas its difficult to even know you have crossed a county line.

18. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 14 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]349097[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, but would any of us even know how to hold that instrument?
    Especially with the nomenclature used in the Bay Area! North Bay, South Bay, East Bay. None of those areas is actually aligned well with the compass points in their names...

I especially love the idea that one can drive south on I-280, as the road makes a a 90-degree left turn and becomes north I-680...

Do the homing pigeons help? Of course, you only get one shot and then they're out of sight...

19. PriusSpace321

PriusSpace321 New Member

Back on the topic of the Self Dimming Mirror instead of a compass, the best suggestion I read on this site is to rotate the mirror upside-down (sensor and switches on top). This allows the dimming function to work better for cars that are close to you, instead of the rear cross member causing a shadow on the sensor. Just watch the wires on the front of the mirror to determine which way to rotate it (clockwise vs counter-clockwise).

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ditto. Rotating it upside down helps A LOT. It now functions like it's supposed to.