1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Self Gloss - My first 50+ mpg tank!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by nfschlaack, Aug 18, 2008.

1. nfschlaack

nfschlaack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK, we've had our Prius (which we affectionately call Olive because of her color) for nearly four years. I was always proud of the car, but never a "Prius extremist". I got excited when I could go to the grocery a couple blocks away purely in "stealth".

Then I found PriusChat. Yea, I was one of those that wondered why I wasn't getting the 51/60 advertised, but I got answers here. I didn't know about the little cubby hole under the center console until I read the forums here. There were other things, then I discovered "Pulse and Glide". This proved to be the most rewarding and it has paid off. I have three blocks on the gauge and it is reading 50.8mpg and it is still climbing.

The other thing I have learned about the Prius is that the old saying of "garbage in, garbage out" definitely applies to this car. Put a lead foot in a Prius and they will be extremely disappointed. Put someone in a Prius that is willing to change their driving habits, they will be happily rewarded, like myself. I still an no Prius extremist, but I am definitely extremely proud that I have cracked the 50+ mpg barrier. :rockon:

2. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would like to know about your discovery, Pulse and Glide. I try to
    hiper-mile whenever possible but can seem to budge from 47 MPG. I am approaching 3 K on my 2008 package 6 Standard model.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Congrats! :thumb:

Here's your trophy :first:

You've earned it. Trust me, it only gets better with time. One reason it gets better is that you are now hooked. Whether you realize it or not - whether you like it or not - you will never settle for less again. It will be only a matter of time that you'll be posting 55mpg. And we will be here waiting.

4. nfschlaack

nfschlaack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There are several threads on Pulse and Glide, including this current one.

http://priuschat.com/forums/fuel-economy/52182-pulse-glide.html

As Tony stated, once you get the hang of it, you do indeed get hooked on the technique.

5. nfschlaack

nfschlaack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  6. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    congrats! I remember my first 50 tank. felt good. I remember my fist 55 tank. nice.

My problem is I can not keep it up tank after tank! weather, winds, traffic, etc seems to wreck most of my great tank averages.

Something so nice-you'd think the universe would play along!

7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats!!

I'm impressed that you would hang in there and keep working on it. You deserve some extra praise and congratulations just for that.

Also, thank you for posting your words of encouragement about PriusChat. I concur with your statements -- I've learned so much from this site about the car and how to use it, drive it and enjoy it.

I hadn't thought about GIGO applying to Prius drivers/driving habits, but I think I agree with your comparison!

Just wait until you get to 500 miles on one tank with more than 50 MPG. It is only topped by reaching 600 and 60 (at least in my experience -- many others are in the 700/70 club!!).

8. nfschlaack

nfschlaack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the supportive words guys! Just an update since I am pretty excited about it. The final tally according to the computer was. 51.2, but when I did the math - gallons pumped vs. miles - it actually came to 53.4! The more exciting thing for me is that I must be on some massive learning curve or something, because now the computer reads 54.9 right now. I think I've hit a plateau though, it's tough to get better than that with the topography in the St. Louis area. Regardless, I am pumped about how well things are going.

9. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought I was doing really well averaging 55-56 in the summer but I didn't really have the best understanding on the P&G technique.

Now I have, and am using the consumption screen instead of energy and ametting 58+ and an occasional 60+. Keep at it! It will come.

10. tls1

tls1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Two days ago I drove 500 miles in my 2007 Prius and got 50.1 with the A/C on. Although I still have the 2007 yesterday I got a Black 2008 with package #6 with Chrome wheels and on the 55 miles home it did 55.3 with the A/C on. We are now a two Prius family and we both are happy campers. Now if I can find out how to use the Nav. I much prefer the Garmin Nuvi which is user friendly.