1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Self-install HU on 2004 (no JBL/nav/bt) by noob?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mamacate, Aug 10, 2013.

1. mamacate

mamacate New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I've read through many, many threads on this topic, so forgive me for posting again, but I haven't found one that quite answers my questions.

I want to upgrade my head unit on a 2004 that has the factory unit with no upgrades, but some of the discussions of retaining the A/C, resistors, and such are scaring me off a little. I'm not terribly good at this sort of thing, though with decent instructions I'm capable (I've changed a faucet for example). When I read about testing resistors and splicing pink wires, I start picturing myself sitting in a pile of broken plastic, with no control over the A/C, weeping. OTOH, I had a HU professionally installed on a car a long time ago and they did a sloppy job, plus they charged the earth.

So, wise Priuschatters, here's what I'm thinking:
    • A JVC KW-R800BT double-din HU.
    • The Axxess steering wheel control unit.
    • The Metra dash and wiring harness kits that Crutchfield throws in.
    (Sorry, this is my first post so it won't let me hyperlink, but these are all on Crutchfield.)

If I get all that stuff, and spend the $$ on the Axxess kit, can I avoid having to splice wires and do incomprehensible things relating to resistors in order to use the existing power management and climate screens? Or am I still splicing (and subsequently weeping)?

Thanks for any words of advice!

Cate

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if that harness comes with the resistor prewired into it, then its a bolt in-- no splicing, soldering, etc. call crutchfield and ask them for details about the parts you want. they will be glad to help. and there is a tutorial somewhere in priuschat on dash dis-assembly which is very helpful.
    do it, you won't be sorry. but you must also replace the crappy oe speakers, cause they suck and sound terrible. there are a few threads about speaker replacement which also are good.