1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sell 2005 and buy 2006

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by maggieddd, Aug 10, 2005.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Since, I just saw the pdf file about the changes for 2006 model. Anyone think it would be worth selling the 2005 and getting 2006? I do want those little additions such as mini jack and tire pressure measure etc. With the new tax law would it be worth selling '05 and getting '06 so you wouldn't loose any money on it?

2. exhuman

exhuman Member

You read my mind. Either that, or I wonder how incredibly much it would cost upgrade to JBL with the MP3 ability. That's the main improvement I'm after anyways.

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

exhuman, let's do a calculation. What's the new tax break? How much can you possibly get for a 2005 (I guess also depend on your mileage).
    How does it work with sales tax? I just bought mine and paid about $1800 in sales tax. I would have to pay tax again on a new vehicle. Another $1800. Is the price higher for '06 Prius or about the same???

4. exhuman

exhuman Member

My Sales Tax was probably similar. I've only got 5000 miles on my pkg 6 Tideland. There seems to be no shortage of Prii at the dealerships around here so I'm not sure how much I could get someone to pay for a 2005 as opposed to a new 2005 or a 2006. Maybe I'll have to check out the resale value of my Prius once Jan 1 2006 comes around.

I'm probably just in dreamland as that's a lot of agro and probably money when I could just get one of the aux2car or ipod2car things. But one never knows.

5. pearsonrj

pearsonrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You CANNOT be serious...

... if there is in fact a ~$2500 tax credit for the Prius in 2006, the market will reflect that. Either the base price of the 2006s will go up by the manufacturer (as Toyota has threatened, to 'help' the domestic manufacturers), or the dealers will mark up the 2006s to offset the tax break, or there will be some discounting on 2005s and 2006s sold in 2005, and that will be reflected in depressed resale values in 2004/2005 Priuses also.
    Either way, if you have a 2004 or 2005, there is no way that you will be able to change it for a 2006 without being out of pocket. After all, would YOU buy a used 2005 for the same net price as a new 2006? I didn't think so...
    Get over it folks - all cars are ultimately improved upon, and the Prius is no different. In fact, alot of the technology in the Prius is rapidly improving. If you buy a 2006, what will you do when a complete redesign comes out in 2008??

6. wstander

wstander New Member

Okay, then why not try to adapr/adopt some of the 2006 'upgrades' to our 2004/2004 cars? Surely, some of these items are simply swaps...or maybe not...only time and investigation will tel;-)

7. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

yeah, but I don't feel like repainting my car, would be easier to get another in "right" color.

Just kidding...

8. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

9. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

10. wstander

wstander New Member

Shudddddderrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

11. bookrats

bookrats New Member

The AUX-IN / MP3 capability might indeed be a dealer-added option -- perhaps to 2004 or 2005 models. (We can hope.)

12. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  13. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: Reports indicate that Prius made in China will be for sale only in China.

*SIGH* Some participants in these forums "jump the gun" without reading the news, some of the same who are "too lazy to find the manual" expecting other forum posters to answer all their questions.

Your Owner's Manual contains a wealth of useful information.

14. wstander

wstander New Member

Oh, I would not automatically assume that some of those Chinese built cars will NEVER find their way to these shores. Given the demand for cars in mainland China will exceed that of the entire remainder of the world, I doubt that Toyota will even have the capacity to support local Chinese consumption.

As I further recall, vehicles in Hong Kong and Shanghai are right-hand drive....so.....

15. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

I would bet if you tried to sell it privately that you would find someone to pay a good price and could probably get into an '06 after sales tax and tax credit for about break-even. There is a buyer for everything, you just need to find that person.

16. MHR

MHR New Member

I just sold my 05 with 900 miles on it and am ordering an 06 today!

:mrgreen:

I will look to adapt the rear backup camera and tire pressure warning system through parts.

17. prion

prion Junior Member

Can you put the back up camera in the front, so I can see where I am going?

18. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MHR\";p=\"115304)</div>
    What package did you have and how much did you get for it?

19. NewType

NewType New Member

This may not mean anything to many of you, but it does mean something to me... so I am going to say it here:

2005 Prius are Made in Japan, while 2006 Prius are (or many of them will be) Made in China. :roll:

This is part of the reason I got my Prius... well... almost in a hurry. :wink:

20. prius04

prius04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander\";p=\"115265)</div>
    It has been widely reported that BOTH China and Japan are dead set against any of these cars built in China being shipped out of China. China is in the midst of a phenomenal expansion and they need these cars. So I think one CAN automatically assume that zero will reach our shores.

But in any case, wherever Toyota exports their building of the car, rest assured they will export the quality control too.

I'm old enough to remember when "made in Japan" was a euphemism for JUNK. The Japanese went to Harvard U and hired Dr. W. Edwards Deming who brought them the concept of "TQM", or Total Quality Management. By the way, Deming went to Japan after American industry scoffed at his ideas. Japan's products went from joke punch lines to top quality in only a few years.

So rest assured, any Prius made in China is extremely unlikely to be any less of a quality car than those made in Japan.