1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sell my 2009 Prius privately or trade-in? I have extended warranty + prepaid service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Turnip, May 30, 2012.

1. Turnip

Turnip New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 2009 Prius new in April 2009. Its Magnetic Gray, Package 6 (6CD, leather seats, navigation etc.).

I am moving back to East Coast from the Bay Area where I am now and want to sell. I only sold a car once years and years ago.

When I bought the car I got the 10 year extended warranty plus I prepaid for the dealer service. I have taken it in to the dealer for regular service using this prepaid arrangement. About ti bring it in for the 30K one (the current mileage is 32K and it says to bring it in at 32,600).

I like the idea of just taking it to a dealer for fewer hassles (I wanted to get a CarMax quote but the closest one is in Fresno over 50 miles away). But I wonder .... is there any value to the prepaid service and warranty I bought and if so is it only worth something in a private sale? I.e. are those things worthless when when selling to a dealer since they will do their own warranty anyway?

I am not buying a new car just want to sell this one.

It's in great condition. Only ever had a few scratches and slight dent in rear which were repaired flawlessly.

2. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Check the warranty language. If it's transferable you might be able to get a little something extra from the dealer for it, if not, you're outa luck in that respect. You'll almost certainly get more from a private sale than from the dealer, but it'll take longer and you'll probably have to haggle, especially now that oil and gas prices are dropping going into summer.

3. PriusTech

PriusTech Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    don't know what carmax is but KBB.com is good for looking up value.

private party value (what you can sell if for on Craigslist) $22,234.00

Dealer trade in value. $19,769.00

Looks like you taking a $2500 hit if you take it to a dealer compared to selling it privately. Just be safe on Craigslist and meet the buyers at a public place, not your home.

4. motochris

motochris ^^ newb ^^

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You are dreaming if you think a dealer is going to buy his car for anything close to $19769. I'm betting he's offered $15-16k max.
    I just bought an '08 from a local dealer.... 15,210 miles on it, $18,000.
    Current KBB is quite a bit above what you can expect out of a used car right now. Too many deals to be had...

For the OP.... I'de sell it outright myself. Shouldn't be hard to sell at all.

5. PriusTech

PriusTech Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I don't know, that's trade in, not selling outright to a dealer. I just bought a used Corolla on Craigslist 1 month ago and they were all selling over KBB.

I would at least start at KBB or a little more. You could just look on Craiglist and see what they are selling for and if they are moving quickly. Those Corollas in nice shape were moving very quickly.

6. Turnip

Turnip New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah KBB is in the 18-20K range. but edmonds has it closer to $15K.

I would be overjoyed at 19K or 18K...... but worried that dealer would be closer to $15.

CarMax is a national company that does an appraisal and makes you an offer on the spot good for 7 days but the closest one to me is 50 miles away.

I'm moving cross country and don't want to deal wtih selling it myself because I only owned this car and never really sold one before.

I called carmax today and they said I could drive out there and get an estimate and see but if i do sell it to them i'ld have to do it closer to when I move. the lady also said I should call toyota and see if they would give me pro-rated poart of my prepaid service /warranty back.

7. PriusTech

PriusTech Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's only six '09 Prius "by owner" in the bay area right now, none at your mileage and trim level. I don't think $20K would be very hard looking at the other prices. It's not really that much harder than selling to a dealer.

Craigslist makes it so easy, you could have it sold in 1 week.

8. Turnip

Turnip New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting...... thank you for that info.

I guess I should try it. I might drive out to Fresno this weekend and see what Carmax quote is as a ballpark.

I have to get a little scratch repaired (someone tapped me in the garage) but their insurance is paying for it, and I got the $ just have to drop it off at the auto body place...... the guy said he coudl buff out a couple superficial scratches too...... I"m assuming I should do all this before trying to sell it. Other than that it's in great condition though I was thinking of getting the inside "detailed" or cleaned really well (it's not dirty just want it to look sparkling).

I just ama little worried about the payment. I sold 1 car when I was 18 years old in the 80's and it was a woman getting divorced and her husband gave her a bank check which was made it to her and she endorsed it to me and I took it and then the bank didn't watn to accept it and I freaked out because I no longer had the car and I made a huge scene and eventually the bank took it but bad memories.

9. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Selling it privately is going to be tougher, but more lucrative. Some used car dealers will give you an offer that is good for a few weeks - it might make sense to get a couple of offers so you have them - then you can list privately and see if you get a better offer. Best bet is to browse other cars for sale - the online car value sites are typically way off and you want to be sure to sure to set the price appropriately.

As for dealing with $ in a private sale - set it up so the transfer is done at a branch of the bank on which the payment is being made. You can do a walk around in the parking lot and then head inside to handle the finances. Once you know that the check is good then you can sign the paperwork in the bank lobby - all you need then is a ride home.

10. tdelker

tdelker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One point many people miss on trade-ins, and it may be state dependent, but in Colorado, you only pay sales taxes on the difference between the price for the new car and the trade-in value. This can be substantial, up in 9% depending on the city you live in. This is not true for a privately sold car. I still don't understand this, but it's the way it is set up. Strong dealer lobbying I suspect. It gives them a real edge.

I've had very good luck selling and buying privately. Both times I've done the deal at the seller/buyer's house. I insist on a bank check made out to me.

11. stevemcelroy

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This does not come into play in this case as the poster is selling his car and not buying another (at least that is the way that I read it). In most places you do not pay tax on the value of a trade in - and it only applies when trading in and buying from the same dealer - say you sell to Carmax and then buy a new Toyota then you are out of luck.

this has been the case for decades - my guess it is more to do with paperwork in the pre-computer age and also to spur the sales of new cars and even perhaps things like farm veichles. I would not be surprised if this dated back to the Great Depression.

I'd be careful of even a bank check - they are being forged these days and many Internet scams use bank checks and money orders. They look legit and your bank accepts them and gives you quick access to the cash, only to pull it back once it is determined it is fake. By that point the buyer is long gone.

12. Turnip

Turnip New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are correct, I am hoping to sell and not buy anything else (moving to a city where I don't need a car). Which also complicates it a bit in that unless I turn it over the day before I move I will have to rent a car for a few days :)

Yeah I'm wary of even bank checks given my experience when I was 18 and what you are saying about scams.

Assuming I get between $15-19K..... how can I get payment I know is real other than cash, and I don't want to carry that much cash either!.

I wonder if Prius' are worth more in Bay Area or NYC. KBB and edmunds suggests there is no difference.

13. stevemcelroy

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most likely you will be selling to someone local so I'd recommend having handing over the car at the buyers bank.

14. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Based on what I've read KBB is the average listing price and Edmunds is the average sellling price. That said, with oil/gas prices dropping people aren't as likely to pay what they paid a month or two ago when gas looked like it might make it to $5/gallon. For the transaction, I would go with a cashier's check made out with you present, and then finish everything up at the DMV/AAA. Everything is done that day and there's an easy paper trail.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm interested in this question of how to accept large payments safely too.
    I think I would complete the transaction at the buyer's bank, but request a wire transfer on the spot rather than accept a bank cheque. It will cost OP ~ $15.

The problem, other than outright forgery, is that often the cheque purchaser has the right to cancel the cheque.

16. Turnip

Turnip New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE:
    I found out I can get a pro-rated refund on my pre-paid service agreement as well as my extended warranty (Toyota Extra Care).

Now the question is how much a dealer will give me. I am waiting to take it in because I want to get a scratch repaired which has already been paid to me by the other person's insurance I just have to drop the car off to have it done. I don't know how much that will impact the overall offer but worried that if I dont' bring it in in best possible shape they'll ding me.
    Of course I'm a little worried they'll lowball me no matter what.

I know the range is $15K-20K (or more if private sale) and I'm not trying to be greedy I just dont' want to be screwed by the dealer.

17. tdelker

tdelker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A bank check is a check from the bank's account. You can verify it by calling the bank if you has suspicion of forgery. It can't be cancelled. There might be a clause that if it hasn't been cashed within 90 days, you can then get the money transferred back to your account.

I figure if I can close the deal at the person's house, I know were they live. The person I bought my new car from and the person I sold my old truck to both obviously were on the up and up. If I suspected something strange, I just won't accept the offer.

18. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Carmax has to make money, and they make a LOT of money. I took 3 cars in for quotes and they were bout 5-6 thousand below kbb or edmunds. (I think they are a scam, tried to convince me two of my cars had been repainted and in accidents which I had the cars since they were new)

IE: 2009 MDX Sport they offered me $28k, I sold it for $32k in 6 hours after listing it on AutoTrader. I could have got more (going rate was $34-$36) but I wanted a quick sale.

You will take a $2-6K hit trading it in or selling it to carmax.

Sell it to a private party. It isn't that big of a deal, meet at a bank, make sure the funds are good, sign over the title and complete the DMV Release of liability (this can be done instantly online and protects the seller) Thats it. Go get a new ride.

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Read more: ​
    How to Cancel a Cashier's Check | eHow.com
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7557760_cancel-cashiers-check.html#ixzz1wz05gadg

"
    On occasions, people choose to cancel cashier's checks because they no longer wish to use the check for the intended purpose or because they lose it. Most states follow guidelines for canceling cashier's checks as laid out in the Uniform Commercial Code. The UCC provides guidelines for bank transactions but states do not have to base laws upon it."

I don't know if any method is 100% secure, but taking the buyer to their own local bank to have a cashier's check (aka bank check) made out on the spot sounds like a good way to go about things. I keep reading advice to call the local bank where the check originated to verify it is not a forgery if one cannot show up at the bank, but I do not know how easy the call is.

20. tdelker

tdelker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most all banks require a 90 day waiting period to cancel the bank check. If you don't cash it in 90 days, well, I suppose you're out of luck.

ehow is a bit of a poor reference. Try this one: http://lawdigitalcommons.bc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1589&context=bclr&sei-redir=1&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3Ducc%2520bank%2520check%2520cancel%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D7%26ved%3D0CGIQFjAG%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Flawdigitalcommons.bc.edu%252Fcgi%252Fviewcontent.cgi%253Farticle%253D1589%2526context%253Dbclr%26ei%3DAYHPT8mTJorm2QXu5aSiDQ%26usg%3DAFQjCNGdm0GLn1ruxZ4_acCf65NmffkfjQ#search=%22ucc%20bank%20check%20cancel%22

Boston College Law Review. "In considering the precise nature of a cashier's check, courts have noted that a cashier's checks are the functional equivalent of cash." Basically, yes, a bank could put a stop payment on the check, but then you can take the bank to court and you would likely win. But check's do get lost, so they usually allow you to cancel them, but make you wait a good amount of time to make sure it doesn't get deposited. Some banks will make you pay to take out a bond in case someone cashes it at a later date to cover them.

I certainly didn't call the bank to verify the check, but I did the deal at the buyer's house, so I knew exactly where to go. I knew where he worked. There was no mystery what was going on. If you suspect something strange, then you probably shouldn't do the deal anyway. Another legitimate buyer will come along.

It is safe to assume a legitimate bank check is as good as cash. Otherwise you are going to have a very hard time taking a large sum of money for payment of things, including the closing of your house. And you are protected against the loss of the check, but it will cost you and take time to recover it. But it's better than cash that way.