1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sell private or Trade in, which saves more money?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nowatch, Jun 4, 2007.

1. nowatch

nowatch New Member

ok i am still ping ponging this idea to get rid of my 06 Murano with 2700 miles leather navi, hid sport package etc. for a prius.

i currently owe 25,500 on the car. i think i can get around that in trade in, in the websites i get a range of 25-27500. so i shouldnt have negative equity. so my point in this post is, which will save me more money, selling the car for 30k and use the extra as down, but pay all fees and taxes or trade in?

so heres is my issue

A: sell the car at around 30k and pay off the owed balance, then buy a prius. ( but i would have to pay taxes, maybe plates and other stuff )

B. Trade in the car to a nice dealer who will work with me and save on taxes .

Now the part i am confused about is, what or where do i ACTUALLY</span> save with trade in?
    This is NYC region so tax is like 8.65%.

<span style="color:#993399">My main goal is to have the Lowest monthly payments as possible

let me know if i am explaining this properly.

EXAMPLE with trade in

new prius 24000
    down 5000
    amt fin 19000
    monthly $367 @6%

new prius with tax 26200

2. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ Jun 4 2007, 11:16 AM) [snapback]454942[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, I would say selling out rite would be the best way, however if it doesnt sell quickly you'll still be making the payments..

Trading in is pretty good, but remember the dealers there to make money, They may give you close to pay off / ie they pay off your car and tack the remainder onto the back of your new car loan, depending on how upside down you are..... Ive had it done twice, I think my next car will be a 71 VW cabrolet...

4. nowatch

nowatch New Member

thx all for the comments,

reason i am doing so is i am expecting a baby in 5 months and want to have as low monthly payments as possible , Also want to save money to buy a place. with the 350 area i can save 200 a month.

i want to know where is the savings in trade in. As i understand the amount traded in is tax exempt, is that right? can anyone confirm.

i am trying to weigh this out, if i trade in i can save 2100 in taxes, maybe even tags and plates.<<-- is this statement correct?

5. mootsman

mootsman New Member

There's really only one way to trade from my perspective.

1. DON'T mention the word TRADE until you negotiate your best price for the vehicle in question.

2. After getting your best potential deal then bring up the notion of trading.

3. If your vehicle is genuinely super clean, etc. then take NOTHING less than Back Book clean wholesale for it and if they will not show you that value you should walk.

This scenario plus the taxes you will not have to pay based on the trade-in value "may" make the trade worth it over the private sale.

6. nowatch

nowatch New Member

Aside from a car wash my car is like prestine new.

its always been garaged. there might be 2 light scratches at most.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I haven't looked at the US Toyota site, but the Canadian site will look up the "black book" value of your trade in for you in the final financing stage of "build your Prius". This is the wholesale price. It gives a range. The dealer will try to get you to the lower of the two numbers. When he sells it he will use the "blue book" (retail) price as his basis. So he will get "from you" perhaps $2000 on the black book price, and then another $2000 from the purchaser when he resells at the retail price.

The dealer will base his "best price" on the Prius on how much he can make on the trade in as well. He knows the prices, he knows how he makes money. Your job will be to keep his profit "reasonable". Difficult when you don't know the prices as well as he does.

When you buy your Prius you will pay taxes on the full price if you do not trade in. So in your case 8.65% of $24,000.

If you trade you will save 8.65% of the price the dealer gives you on your Murano on taxes. BTW, this is not a morality issue. The govt. set it up this way. So don't worry about it (to use NY parlance). ;)

Is the tax savings close to the loss between wholesale and retail price of the Murano?

Are you willing to wait while your vehicle sells? What is a quick painless deal worth to you?

I traded my 2001 Pathfinder, as I didn't want to wait - the market is flooded with SUVs. I saved $800 in taxes. Difference between wholesale and retail was around $2000. So I "lost" $1200 or so. It was worth it to me for no hassle.

8. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nowatch @ Jun 4 2007, 08:47 AM) [snapback]454958[/snapback]</div>
    From NY DMV web site, tax should be based on total purchase price:
    "Total purchase price (include cash payment, balance of any payments you may have assumed, and the value of any property given, or services performed, in trade)"

9. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jrfaris @ Jun 4 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]454978[/snapback]</div>
    I just purchased mine in NYS a couple of months ago and I can confirm that the price of the trade-in was deducted prior to calculating sales tax.

10. jbullard

jbullard New Member

11. mustu

mustu New Member

I had the same decision to make for my 2003 Mercedes C230. I listed it for a while on Craigslist for $20,000 which was a little higher than private party blue book value 'cause it had really low miles. A couple of people looked at it, but no offers. I really wanted the Prius so I just took it in to the dealer to find out how much they would give me for a trade in. They offered $18,300. However, I don't have to pay sales tax on this portion if it's a trade in (and the sales tax rate here is 9.1%). So, even though I traded it in for less than I would have sold it for the sales tax savings made up the difference. And, I didn't have to deal with the hassle of showing it to people and dealing with the paperwork.