1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Selling 04/05 hard to do?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by magicguy, Dec 13, 2005.

1. magicguy

magicguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With Prius prices so high, I figured I could sell my 04 pkg 5, super clean, pristine, all maintenance records, not salvage -- and get an 06 for maybe $1k-$2k difference, not a bad deal. Anyways, I haven't had much luck. I have had the car on Autotrader and on Carsoup plus signs in my windows for about 6 months. I get a call or so every week but I sure thought my car would sell a lot faster.

Dealers seem to be moving them for thousands more than I am asking, and they tell me I should have no problem selling my car.

I had a deal where the lady agreed to $21,750 and I ordered my 06, but then she had an emergency and backed out.

Now I'm running into the point where my 06 will probably be here in Feb/Mar (not too far away) and I'm still driving my 04. If it comes down to it I will keep my 04, but I'd really like to upgrade

So my question is, is there something I'm missing about selling my car?

Any tips for getting my car to move better? Am I asking too much?

Has anyone sold a used Prius 04? If so, how much did you get?

Thanks for your time,
    John

2. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

how many miles on it? and what's package 5 on '04?

3. magicguy

magicguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have 20,600 miles on it. Garage kept, all maintenance records (including mpg and gas records), nose bra for long drives.

pkg 5 is rear wiper, side curtain airbags, 6 disc CD with sound package, homelink mirror. It was a mid level package in 04.

Basically I feel like I have more of a car than the dealers give you and better kept, but can't seem to sell it.

My plan is to put it in the base paper (I'm military) and probably run the local paper for a week or two and see what happens. I hate using the local paper though -- it's so expensive for what little you get as far as an ad.

I'm just wondering if I'm off base asking $22,450 (negot) or if I just haven't gotten the right buyer yet.

John

4. cap_ut

cap_ut New Member

Might I suggest http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/ ?

It's free, and (at least in my area) frequented by folk that might be more interested in a Prius than the average local newspaper reader.

5. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree. Craig's list is a good way to go. It costs you nothing and it's a popular resource.

6. magicguy

magicguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks, I posted to Craigslist in Albuquerque. Is it a better idea to post in a bigger market, say like Los Angeles or any larger close city, or just in the city the car is in?

I'm new to Craigslist, I tried to post in another city and it rejected it because I've already posted. I like that actually, just wondering what people's thoughts are on which city to post in.

Thanks,
    John

7. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Perhaps you are being cursed by the tax credit. It works against you right now:

If you add the $3,100 tax credit to your asking price, one can buy a $25,510 '06 package and have $40 left over. That is a Package #5 with more features that your car and no miles on it.

• Driver & front passenger seat-mounted side and front & rear side curtain airbags
    • Backup Monitor
    • smart Key system
    • Vehicle stability control (V5C)
    • Anti-theft system plus Homelink ® universal transceiver
    • JBL Premium AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer, nine speakers, MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio input miniplug plus hands-free BluetooThTM phone capability

8. magicguy

magicguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Possibly. The selling point on my car is that it's mint still, no waiting, and you can test drive it -- you can't at a lot of dealers around here at least.

Hopefully I'll get a buyer before my new 06 comes in and I have to decline it.

If anyone's sold an 04, I'm interested in how much they sold it for, where they sold it and how they sold it.

Thanks!
    John

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A lot of people don't want the lower packages. You've got no VSC, no NAV, and I'm not sure from your description if you have the rear air bags. I drive an '04 pacakge 7 ("AM") which has the full safety features but no NAV, and I suspect part of the reason I got it as quickly as I did was that the no-NAV packages were in much lower demand. (I had no need of NAV in Fargo; but now that I'm in Spokane I'm using a Garmin Street Pilot --recommended by someone here on PC-- and I'm very happy with it.)

In short, I think too few people want to settle for the package 5 on an '04.

The fact that you've been advertising widely and have not sold the car in six months of trying, says you're asking too much. The easier it gets to buy a new car from a dealer, the harder it is to get a high premium for a used one. No matter how clean your car is, a buyer is likely to prefer a new car from a dealer over a used one from a private seller, especially when the difference is small. You are expecting to trade up for just $1K or $2K; but that means you're asking a buyer to accept a used car for just $1K or $2K less than he could get a new one for, and with more features. You may indeed have to lower your asking price.

10. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just like prius sales have slowed since the summer, SUV sales have picked up. The price of gas is working against hybrid selers right now. When it starts to go back up in May and June and people start panicking again, that's the time to sell it.

Also, I recall from working at a stealership that car sales drop dramatically in the winter.

11. diemonde

diemonde New Member

Same problems here (The Netherlands). Went to the dealer and they offered me a demo car ('05) for 26.000 (euro) and a new one costs about 30.000. But with new cars they always give you a reduction and then you are getting a new car for 28.000. So it only is a 2.000 difference and the most people who can afford a Prius will go for the new car if the difference is so low.

12. jtmhog

jtmhog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I sold my 05 Prius, 10,700 mi, package #2, on 11/9/05. I bought 3 day 4 line ad in Wash. Post for $35.00. The MSRP (what I paid) was 22,560, I asked 22,900, got 21,500. The Northern Virginia area is a very hot Prius market because of the HOV exemption (due to expire in July 06 unless the state changes the law). An ad in a CA city with HOV and when gas price was over $3 may have sold your car but,at a lower price. I have a $500 deposit on a 06 Prius #2. For about $1500 difference (not including taxes and title), I will get a new car and a $3,100 tax credit. I only got 5 calls on the car and sold it to the first offer. Now everyone is waiting for 2006 to buy an 06 model. I'm back driving the 95 Saturn SL2 and hate driving. I'm filling up every week vs. every 3 weeks with the Prius. I really miss that car.

13. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    magicguy,

Exactly one year ago, I sold my perfect, '04, loaded package 9 (BC) with 11,500 miles for about $1,000 under the sticker price. Used cars.com and autotrader.com. I even met the buyer halfway between Detroit and Chicago.

That was at a time when the Prius was super hot and it still took almost a month.

I'm not saying the Prius isn't hot now, it's just far more available. The tax credits on new cars will deflate the resale prices of used Prius by a like amount.

14. magicguy

magicguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, I found out what part of my problem selling my car was. When I put it on autotrader, they mistyped my email, so anyone that clicked on the 'email seller' button ended up sending an email to nowhere and I never got it. This was after they recorded the VIN wrong, so I had wrong VIN Aug-Oct (partly my fault for not checking it in detail) and wrong email (Aug-today) which was totally their fault and no way for me to know. They are running me a front page ad in the paper copy for one week starting 5 Jan since they don't refund money. And I'm running an ad in my local paper this weekend only, plus I have it on Autotrader (correctly) and on Carsoup and Craigslist.

Hopefully I'll be able to sell it before my new one comes in. Even though the cars aren't much different, I like the idea of a new car with more options if it works out. If I can't sell mine, I'll keep my 04, which isn't bad after all but is a little frustrating with the issues I've had trying to sell mine.

John

15. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

come on here, Local Ad, Illness Forces Sale! then the description of the car then PRICE CUT then what ever your asking for it. Do it like a dealer would.