1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured SEMA Ioniq claims +80 MPG

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Oct 9, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hyundai Ioniq for SEMA Nets More Than 80 MPG - Motor Trend

The SEMA-bound concept features a Bisimoto Dream Aero kit with a special front splitter, TA wing, side splitters, and rear wheel covers. Along with a Bisimoto pulse-chamber exhaust system, the model also gets enhanced e-generators, optimized inertial supercharging during valvetrain overlap, and a Progress Performance coilover suspension that reduces ground clearance. Also look for low-rolling resistance tires on Carbon Revolution 19-inch carbon fiber wheels, Buddy Club aluminum brake calipers, and NGK spark plugs. Inside the cabin, there are Recaro Pole Position racing seats.

“The HyperEconiq Ioniq takes the Ioniq where we always knew it could go, without sacrificing drivability,” said Bisi Ezerioha, president of Bisimoto Engineering, in a statement. “Leveraging the outstanding Ioniq electrified platform and powertrain, we’ve focused on a variety of technical elements to bring efficiency, aero and design to the highest level.”

Bob Wilson

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A new class of modding/modders.

LasVegasaurusRex and RCO like this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    buck_rogers and pilotgrrl like this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have no doubt that Gertes is already under contract to do an Ioniq driving stunt. Something like the Niro drive.

Bob Wilson

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They've had a site for awhile.
    Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

The Ioniq seems to be doing well
    Hyundai Ioniq MPG - Actual MPG from 122 Hyundai Ioniq owners

Hyundai's crime could have been simply over confusion in regards to EPA rules, and unintential. A reason for the 2016 revisement was to clarify things.

6. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I was going to say that "it didn't happen until Fuelly says it did". However, from the link above it is looking promising. Hyundai might win me over yet!

7. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's how I think, too, as I want proof from real world drivers. '17 Prius averages 52.7 mpg, which is exactly the same as the Ioniq. There are legitimate reasons to buy either the Prius or Ioniq, but better fuel economy shouldn't be one of them.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In December 2016 I made my choice from what was available:
    [​IMG]
    2017 Prius Prime Plus.

Bob Wilson

9. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good point! I should have specified that I was referring to buying an Ionic over the Prius.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Actually Hyundai got trapped in a technology change:
    Plug-in hybrids have moved the goal posts and many pioneers have moved to other goals:
    • plug-in hybrids - the efficiency of EV in the City and gas for long distances
    • pure EVs - where there is acceptable infrastructure or a gasser alternative
    The funny thing is in May of 2016 I test drove a 2016 Prius to replace our 2003 Prius. But Toyota decided that year the Prius Two ECO did not rate TSS-P. Someone in Toyota thought I'd ignore the lower MPG of a Prius Three ... WRONG! So I bought a 2014 BMW i3-REx with an optically based, TSS-P.

When BMW reliability raised its head in December 2016, I replaced our 2010 Prius with a 2017 Prius Prime. There was no Ioniq around BUT like the Prius Two ECO the Ioniq does not come with standard TSS-P equivalent. Unless things changed in the new model Ioniq the lack of a built-in TSS-P remains a flaw just as it does in the Volt.

So if I were to ask about this SEMA car, my first question would be about whether or not it comes with TSS-P. If not, no interest. TSS-P or the equivalent has become a hard requirement followed by operational cost.

Bob Wilson

buck_rogers and pilotgrrl like this.
  11. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

I agree..My biggest problem with the Ioniq at this point is the lack of a proven track record of reliability. It will take a few years to convinve me of that..at which point I'll most likely have another Prius..or something with the Toyota HSD ( come on Toyota..bring the hybrid C-HR to the USA for crying out loud )!

pilotgrrl likes this.
  12. Prius Pete

Prius Pete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Another problem with the Ioniq and Niro is their high CO and particle emissions, particularly compared to the very low emission Prius.

ADAC EcoTest Hyundai IONIQ Hybrid Premium

CO three times the Euro6 limit, particles almost 5 times.
    I still think the Ioniq is part of the solution, however

LasVegasaurusRex and pilotgrrl like this.
  13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Honda always does well with their plug-in emissions. And the 2018 clarity MSRP & EPA results should be out shortly. With almost 50 miles of electric range, and & all the room it appears to have inside, things are starting to get real.

14. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, in Europe Prius fares better in the real world than the Ioniq (53.4MPG vs 51MPG).
    May have something to do with the urban driving ratio?...
    Gasoline consumption: Toyota - Prius - Spritmonitor.de
    Gasoline consumption: Hyundai - IONIQ - Spritmonitor.de

Prius Pete and pilotgrrl like this.
  15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Or continual refinement of the car. North America got it last, and I think European models are using standard 12 volt batteries.
    South Korea got it first, and their EPA based tests put it between the gen3 and gen4.

16. Prius Pete

Prius Pete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ioniq consumption on Fuelly will increase as owners endure a winter. ADAC got 5.1 l/100km for the Ioniq vs 4.1 for the 2016 Prius.

Lightning Racer and telmo744 like this.
  17. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    for what it's worth, my very knowledgeable hybrid mechanic says the hyundai/kia hybrids are very reliable. he's an electrical engineer and does EV conversions, and more importantly i trust his judgment.

as for the SEMA build, what on earth does " enhanced e-generators" mean? and why doesn't the retail model have them?!

i'm assuming it means essentially a higher efficiency version of applicable MG, but i'm not actually privy to how the hyundai hybrid system works in comparison to toyota's

farmecologist likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In general, the electrical components aren't the most efficient available. Why not use them usually comes down to cost.
    Almost every one says they would want 80mpg, but very few of them would be willing to pay the thousands more it will cost.
    VW's XL1 is the most fuel efficient car using an ICE available to buy. The price tag is $146,000.