1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Semi Urgent - Car running in driveway, wont stop

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tracy ing, Jun 13, 2022.

1. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Went to get car inspected, they started it and the dash is out suddenly, seller told me it may do that, in addition to that, I can't cut the car off now.
    The following things appear to have no power, is there a common issue here one fuse relay etc ??

Place in reverse it does not attempt to show backup cam, assume it is because it does not exist, no power
    Small vanity lights over visor vanity mirrors do not have power
    Small trunk light left rear no power
    Instrument cluster appears dark assume no power
    Power button will not cut off car, assume that it, or an associated relay device etc has no power

Can shift drive and park, all other items in car and outside appear to work

Assume there is a blown or corroded fuse relay etc, anyone have a suspect in mind ????

2. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has a B1271 Communication between meter ECU & Gateway stops for more than 10 seconds code
    I was just now able to press ready and car turned off.

To the list above add that the rear hatch will not open

HOWEVER
    when i cut the car off just now, the rear trunk area light works and the hatch works, with the car off

I pressed ready and restarted the car, hatch will not open and trunk light does not work
    All other items are still dead

The vanity light over mirror did not work engine READY or not, so we might have to discount them from this investigation

3. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After only 3 minutes from above, i pressed ready and car cut off, hatch started working again as did trunk light
    i pressed ready again it started, all the items listed are dead again, i turned it off, hatch and trunk light work again.

4. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    from video description above If your having trouble with your gauge cluster on a 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 toyota prius, this will fix your problem. Symptoms are reverse camera does not work, door open indicator light not working, no sounds from cluster, hard to power off, trunk not releasing, smart key not responding.
    Bad cap on display

#5 tracy ing, Jun 13, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2022
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is great... You did all your work figuring this out in the thread. You didn't need no help from nobody! Nice work!

SFO likes this.
  7. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I found a guy in the western wash dc metro area, he is going to meet me tomorrow and fix it while i wait, i have the display pulled out ready to go, his price was extremely good, I had to offer more, he wasn't charging enough.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  8. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yup. Had the same problem on both my Prii. Repaired the instrument clusters with Texas Hybrid Batteries and never looked back.
    No more issues.

9. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So Mark in West Va fixed me up in ten minutes, great guy and awesome setup he has. Drove home reinstalled the meter all seems well, now on the the middle ac vents not working.

To start at basics, anyone know what fuse drives the motor on the vent controls, I think there are two motors, just want to make sure we have power before I start tearing into it further, dash is still partially out so nows the time.

I watched that to get oriented on part locations

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I tried to do that recently with a guy who powdercoated some stuff for me, but he wouldn't take it.

There is one blower motor, and three servomotors that move air doors.

One selects the inlet (fresh <-> recirculated), one controls how much heat is added (by controlling the blend of heated and unheated air), and one selects the outlets.

If you hold down the AUTO and fresh/recirculate buttons on the wheel while powering the car on, do you get any two-digit codes in the corner of the MFD screen?

11. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did that, no codes were shown, instead, lots of flashing climate icons
    Yes three servos, one is the fresh air recirculate right, that one is confirmed to work
    I got under and looked at the other two and their linkages and had someone slowly try every iteration of settings, neither of those servos or linkages seems to do anything at all. I cant believe two different servos are out, has to be some common issue to both of them, power, controller etc.

I have techstream if that helps

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did that include changing the temperature setpoint from lowest to highest?

One of the two servos on that side is for outlet selection, and the other one is for temperature control.

13. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no lol

14. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model: