1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Senate grows some balls to Bush's madness.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jan 24, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6296397.stm

"We better be damn sure we know what we're doing, all of us, before we put 22,000 more Americans into that grinder," said Senator Hagel, the only Republican to support the resolution.

Ummm, have the neocons been damn sure about anything since he took office?

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jan 24 2007, 05:18 PM) [snapback]380304[/snapback]</div>
    Are you not reassured by the President's own words in his speech of January 10th where he outlined the plan for the surge?

It can work. I can have hot monkey sex with Cameron Diaz. What are the probabilities of either, though, is the question.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think the question is which military commanders, the ones that were originally in place and told Bush he was an idiot, or the yes men who replaced them :lol:

I think it's about time the senate started keeping Bush in check. It's about time we send a message to the Iraqi government that we won't be holding their hand anymore, protecting them from the bullies in their own backyard. It's about time they took charge of their own security, even if it means they get a bloody nose.

4. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 24 2007, 05:42 PM) [snapback]380319[/snapback]</div>
    From what I understand Cameron is back on the market. So you may have a better chance than "the plan". :D

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 25 2007, 08:48 AM) [snapback]380543[/snapback]</div>
    War time decisions and control rests exclusively in the hands of the President - this current thingamajig is not only completely toothless, and harmful to our troops it is outside the boundries of the Constitution. If the Dems and the here and there Repub had ANY TESTOSTERONE they would go to the heart of the matter and move to cut off funding for the war. This move would probably move to the US Supreme Court to test the constittional powers of the Congress being able to do that -- and yes I know the Dems did that in Vietnam to end the war and start the Killing Fields - I know. It would be an interesting case for the Supremes in my opinion.

The Dems are continuing in their status quo impotent way of doing business - all bluster and hot air and NO substance. I wish they would just stand up - stand for their "plan" in Iraq and the War on Terror - please - I would respect them a whole lot more. Right or wrong - they should stop being indifferent.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 25 2007, 08:13 AM) [snapback]380549[/snapback]</div>
    Have you read the constitution? Let me sum it up for you (since we all know how much you abhor doing your own research)
    Article II - deals with the executive branch
    Section 1 - concerning election of a president, term of office, etc
    Section 2 - The president is CIC, can grant pardons, make treaties (with the permission of the senate), etc.
    Section 3 - State of the Union address
    Section 4 - Impeachment

It says he's the commander in chief, yes... but it doesn't say he doesn't have any oversight...
    Article I - deals with the Legislative branch
    Section 1 - creates a house and senate
    Section 2 - governs the house
    Section 3 - governs the senate
    Section 4 - replacing legislators
    Section 5 - Rules about record keeping, meetings, and adjourning
    Section 6 - paychecks for legislators
    Section 7 - passing bills and taxes and such, including the veto process
    Section 8 - specific powers congress has
    Section 9 - restrictions on congress
    Section 10 - restrictions on states

The key is Section 8, which specifically states:
    So while the president is the CIC of the armed forces, congress was granted, by the constitution, the power over war, to raise and support an army and navy, and to regulate such forces... Seems to me they are perfectly in their right to tell Bush he's out of line and to provide for the regulation of the services in a manor that doesn't permit Bush to send more troops.

It's like the CEO of a company... he has the power to make decisions, but at any time the board can come in and slap his wrist and tell him no. thus the system of checks and balances.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 25 2007, 09:35 AM) [snapback]380558[/snapback]</div>
    Right. The Board says where to go and the CEO figures out how to get us there.

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jan 24 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]380304[/snapback]</div>
    Your balls are totally useless and a waste of time and taxpayers money.

Wildkow

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 25 2007, 03:43 PM) [snapback]380761[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, what's gone missing is *brains.*

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Jan 25 2007, 06:04 AM) [snapback]380546[/snapback]</div>
    You hear that Juliette? You better call me quick, because if Cameron calls me first I'll be willing to settle for second-best and you'll be out of luck!

11. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    oops - deleted