1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SENNA, the documentary movie

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SPEEDEAMON, Aug 3, 2011.

1. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Most PCers are not racing fans as the Prius is the polar opposite to racing cars. However there are some of us who are Formula One junkies. If it wasn't for F1, many developments including efficiency and safety features would not have been realized in passenger cars today.
    I just watched a screening of SENNA, a documentary about Ayrton Senna, a Brazilian driver of the late eighties, early nineties who rose to the top and became World Champion 3 times. He was at the prime of his life when he crashed while leading in the San Marino GP and died in August of 1994.
    The documentary is an awesome tribute to this man and focuses on his intensity to win at all costs and his rivalry with another great Champion Alain Prost. I never liked Senna and still don't, but the movie is well worth seeing. Its supposed to release next week. Here's the trailer:

2. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't wait.

When living in Europe I followed the F1 circus to many venues and had the good fortune to experience Senna defying the laws of physics and sometimes good sense. What he did with his car control skills went beyond breathtaking, his mortality seemed secondary at every corner in any conditions. Except for a couple of Flying Finns, I've never seen another driver willing to take such risks.

"And suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
    Ayrton Senna

1 person likes this.
  3. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've been waiting for this documentary for quite a while, and I probably can't even catch it in the theaters. Might just have to wait for video release...

I became a rabid fan of F1 right when Senna was at the peak of his career. Watching him was incredible, although I wasn't an especially huge fan either. I've only learned to appreciate his talent after his passing and having to endure the current crop of F1 drivers...

1 person likes this.
  4. SPEEDEAMON

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was fortunate to see Senna race Prost in the USA GP in Phoenix, all three times. What a battle as qualifying was whomever went fastest in an hour got pole.

I was told the movie releases in Pasadena at the Playhouse 7 Theater on August 26. Also in NY.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of us are reformed junkies. For many years, I used to get up at all hours and watch every race. I knew the point standings without having to look them up. I don't recall the exact moment when something snapped, but I became aware of the incredible waste of resources involved with boys driving their toys around in circles. Sacrilege, I know, but it no longer holds any meaning for me. It's been a long struggle, and while I can appreciate your enthusiasm, Shin, I'm not going to risk my sobriety by watching Senna.

In fact, I'm just about done with sports altogether. I can't even watch football anymore without my mind splicing in scenes from Gladiator.

6. SPEEDEAMON

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Surely, you haven't given up on the Bikini Football League?

As for F1, they are downsizing to a turbo-charged V6 and eventually all electric. However they will have to come up with getting the "sound" right.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, I don't even know where to begin with that. No, I don't mean with which player. :p

8. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looks fantastic. I've followed F1 since the 60s, even when you'd only get glimpses of it on "Wide World of Sports". I did see Senna's crash but I don't remember if it was on Sports or News. I thought he was fantastic, he's inspired so many drivers and his Foundation has helped so many of Brazil's children. Sure, he appeared arrogant and his battles with Prost were epic. But he always seemed to have a good heart.