1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sensors around the car are only located in the small circles? What happens if our car is damaged?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TheChosenOne, Feb 19, 2016.

1. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Few days ago it was very windy where I live and I am not sure what hit my car but it made a dent and got some paint damage too. The area where it got hit is in the front/side of the car. Not the area/panel of my car with the little circles but the area where the front lights end right before the driver door, above the tire. Is there anything there like sensors or are the sensors only located where the small circles are?

My car is in auto body shop right now and they have a good reputation. I hope just the body is effected, not the sensors.

#1 TheChosenOne, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've watched loose shopping carts pick up incredible speed as a high wind sends them careening into cars in a parking lot.

The circular spots on the front/rear bumpers are the sonar parking/safety sensors that are responsible for the audible warnings you hear inside the car when you get close to something and also used for auto-parking abilities.

3. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

If the damaged part of my car doesn't have those circles, I shouldn't worry about sending my car back to Toyota? Like I said I went to a regular auto body shop instead of dealership

#3 TheChosenOne, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would test the area by having someone walk up to and by that area while you are inside the car with it in gear (foot brake ON! obviously) and listen for the tone to come on and then off as they walk away. Or navigate the former damaged area close to an object. For example, mine come on pulling in to and leaving the garage. The sensors in my CMax don't beep in Park.

5. Grus

Grus Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Please read your owner's manual.
    There are sonar sensors (little circles) and radar sensors (behind front logo & rear bumper) for some Prius 2016.
    If just a small dent, I think that's ok.
    You can test the fuction with someone's help as suggested by fotomoto above for sure.
    Please read your owner's manual.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the top of the fender? you'll be fine. Just be careful of the areas around the sensors as well as the area on the rear side of the bumper (where the radar is located for BSM/RCTA).

I have two sensors (one of each side) of the front bumper for IPA on my Gen 3. The paint is chipped from stones (when the wind blows in the spring, all the sand deposited on the road during winter for grip now becomes airborne). My sensors are fine.

I imagine if any part of the bumper gets damaged on a Gen 4 with ICS, it'll be a trip to the dealer to configure the sensors. My rear bumper was side-swiped by a hit & run. It's oh-so-slightly moved and that messes up the IPA sometimes; the car is parked crooked.

7. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

My car is still in the shop so I can't test it out and obviously the car will detect someone directly in front or back of the car but it will also detect people and objects on the front/side of the car where the front tires are? How about if people or object is on the side by the door? I don't remember but I went up to a drive thru and a pole was there and I got about a few inches next to it. The car warned me about it but I forgot where the the car pointed to.

Above the front tire in the area where it says Hybrid. . It didn't have the sonar sensor circle things and I didn't notice this before but it is pretty smart of car makers to have multiple parts of the body split into 10+ pieces so if one area is damaged, they can just replace that one piece instead of the entire car.

8. vince22

vince22 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [​IMG]

9. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I'm pretty sure if the sensors were damaged that the body shop would note that and repair appropriately. If not noticed right away they could always submit a supplemental to insurance later and get it fixed that way.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends. If the sensors see it (and they retain it in memory for 2 minutes!!) before you make the turn, the car will warn you if you take a sharp trajectory that will put you on a collision course with an object anywhere between the HYBRID badge and the rear fender even if the sensors don't actually see the object. It's a smart car. Of course, YMMV so don't assume it'll see it every time.