1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sept. 2009 Prius with new improved steering & USB?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by scienceexpert, May 26, 2009.

1. scienceexpert

scienceexpert New Member

Model:
    II
    Any one found a link article that specifically says that in Sept. 2009 the Prius that will ship will have a new and improved steering? I heard in the press video about the USB, but not about the steering. I saw someone's chat that he was waiting for those changes in September 2009. :cool:If you have a link I would appreciate it.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    heard about the USB but not the steering. my 2010 does seem more stable on turns, but then again, it could be "new car euphoria"

3. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There's this thread where the Prius team starts to get into the steering issue.

It seems that nobody knows what the deal is with two different versions of the steering- the Prius team said this way back when about the Electronic Power Steering (EPS) but has not updated as far as I know:

It's still unclear whether this first batch of cars with 15" wheels does indeed have the 3.75 lock-to-lock ratio, and if so if it will be upgradable to 2.75 and how this will be accomplished. I would not want to buy an early car with the 3.75 lock-to-lock ratio.

1 person likes this.
  4. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It sounds like the early cars won't have this and as to how they would upgrade it. My guess is a new front rack. I don't see any other way to change the steering ratio. It's a Prius, not a Mini so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

5. ScarGo

ScarGo Common Sense Conservative

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The difference between the 15" rim and 17" rim cars steering are two things. First is the electric power steering motor itself. with the 17" rims or V package you get a brush less motor enabling the 2.5 turns lock to lock. With the 15" rim you get the old style brushed motor and 3.5 turns lock to lock. Not upgradable.

Second is the program to the steering rack controller, this is what will be upgraded by software.

1 person likes this.
  6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i guess the real thing is to go out and check my steering to see exactly where its at now

1 person likes this.
  7. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Any by the way, the USB connectivity will only be available with Nav.

1 person likes this.
  8. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What difference will any upgrade to the steering rack controller make if the lock-to-lock is the same? Less 'play' in the wheel or what?

9. SteveArizonaSC

SteveArizonaSC New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Will the USB option be available for early adopters with Nav?

10. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, according to Prius Team.

11. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes, but at an additional price.

12. scienceexpert

scienceexpert New Member

Model:
    II
    Thanks again guys for the information. Having been in a few crazy driver accidents, I will always opt for the quickest reaction to an oncoming accident. Four wheel disc brakes stop faster than drum and disc, and when you can swerve faster that may mean the difference of life or death in an on-coming accident.

Just last summer in Las Vegas at 3AM heading in the center lane going to the Las Vegas strip from the airport, I nearly died in a head on crash. I was going 50MPH and a driver was going 50MPH straight towards me. We both slammed on the brakes and I swerved at the last second, since cars were on both sides of me. I saw his face as he passed me, both of us in a cloud of smoking tire and brakes. He died hitting the car behind me. The impact blew up both cars sending parts flying around my car.

I will live to drive another day because of new A traction tires and a fast turning ratio.

I will gladly wait till Sept, or when the tighter ratio hits the II Prius class of 2010.

Thanks again for the great expanations!

:):rockon:

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok, on my 2010 non-touring version its 3.75 turns wheel lock to wheel lock. now and i disappointed??. no, but i guess if i never had 2.75 turn steering, i would never have known what i had missed.

14. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Crash safety is your paramount concern... and you are worried about a faster turn ratio? I think you'd be better off buying a hummer.

15. scienceexpert

scienceexpert New Member

Model:
    II
    Upgrading from my old 85 Toyota PU with zero safety equipment, which was a death trap in an accident and my 1990 Accord which was a submarine in an SUV accident, to my current 2000 Nissan Pathfinder was a safe move.

I could drive a tank for accidents, but a nimble faster turning Prius is more environmentally friendly. I would prefer a plug-in, but from what the videos said that could be up to 5-years from now.

The low rider version of a Venza is a much sharper looking car, but it is a nasty gas hog. A blight on the environment like my current Pathinder, which I am trying to retire. Yes, for safety a Hummer would be best, but my name is not Arnold, the Governor with cash to burn.

I just would like the safest option for my 2-1st Graders and 5th Grader to ride in safely.

:cool::)

16. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Clarification: Yes, early adopters will be able to add the USB to the Navi Systems (and it will be in the lower portion under the shifter, close to the seat heater buttons), but will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 USD. They also stated that once it starts shipping with cars, the MSRP will likely reflect the same increase as the dealer's retail price, although I suspect that there will be an install fee above that for those of us choosing to add this later.

17. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No install fee for those who choose to do it ourselves except the $15 to pull the instructions from techinfo.toyota.com

18. priora

priora Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the dealer installed USB will be under the console, where will the factory installed USB be located come Sept?

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hopefully under the dash as well. the audio jack is inside the glove box, AGAIN and that sucks.

i can see it as a way to hide your device, but my Zenn has an audio plug right on the radio and its WAAAY easier to deal with. my Zenn is still my primary commuter unless i am doing something immediately after work, so i am switching my ipod back and forth to the point that is become very tedious....springing for another cable is looking pretty much to be the thing to do

20. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Same location.