1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

September 2003 vs. January 2004 manufacturing dates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jamarimutt, Sep 5, 2004.

1. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Is there a list somewhere of the various changes/improvements that Toyota has made during the manufacture of the 2004 Prius? My car was made in September 2003 and the local dealer has one made in January 2004 that I'm considering as a substitute for an aging Dodge Caravan.

I wonder how much the car changed, of it changed at all, between September 2003 and January 2004.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Assuming the car built in Sept 2003 was a model year 2004, the only possible difference would be one SSC (special service campaign) on the earliest cars. Assuming the work was performed (and one supposes it was, since it's a dealer that has it) there should be no difference at all between the Sept 2003-built and Jan 2004-built cars.

On the other hand, I presume the January car is used, and I personally am always suspicious of a used car. Why would anyone sell a six-month-old Prius? Maybe there was an accident, or maybe this one was a lemon (it can happen, even with Toyota). There may be a perfectly legitimate reason. I just don't trust used cars.

Rental companies sell cars very early. From what I've heard, rental companies mostly bought the base model. No options. Rental companies are generally excellent about service, but many drivers abuse rental cars.

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did we ever establish the changeover point where pushing the Info button on the steering wheel toggled between Energy and Consumption?...

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Let Us extend this question, with no disrespect to the original poster. How about the differences between a 04 with a first build date ( I am sorry I don't know what that might be) and a 04 with a last build date (again I don't when that is) my build is in July 04. The latter personalizes this post! :) So how 'bout it?

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

My 2004 was built in September 2003, just like the first 2005s are being built in September 2004.

The car built in January is a new car. It has not been sold because Priuses don't sell that well in Puerto Rico; thus, they sit in dealers' lots much longer than in the mainland. The fastest-selling Toyota in Puerto Rico is the Corolla, folllwed by the Echo, Matrix, Celica, and Rav4. The Prius is at the bottom of the list, probably close to Toyota's big and very expensive SUVs.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In that case, go for it!!!

Just check to make sure the dealer has performed any/all service campaigns, and you might want to ask that he also make the gas filler & gauge update (which technically requires that you complain about its functioning - but if he's had the car sitting there unsold that long, he may be willing to "pretend" that you complained, and do it based on a pre-purchase request).

Any other possible changes between early and late manufacture dates will be very minor.