1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sequence at power on, Prius V not going to ready only shifts to neutral

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by ZeroM8, Oct 10, 2023.

1. ZeroM8

ZeroM8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello all,

My Prius V just had a transmission change (transmission shaft broke due to broken springs in the clutch/damper).

Long story short, I bought a tranny and clutch/damper, and my mechanic installed it.

Now it's throwing code P0335 same as before, but the difference is that before, I could hear some kind of noise, as if something is spinning on power up but obviously with a broken shaft, the engine can't spin

But not anymore now, so it seems to me that the same code shows up because the the crankshaft position sensor isn't even sending a signal to ECU, because the engine isn't even spinning.

So my question is: what's the initialization sequence? Is it like this?

*at power up, HV batt sends ~200V to inverter
    *inverter produces 3 phase to MG2
    *MG2 spins
    *crankshaft sensor sends signal to ECU
    *ECU says everything is fine
    *now i can shift the gears

I know this sequence I summarized isn't everything but I am just trying to narrow down the issue to this code P0335, as to my analysis, the motor is not even initially spinning, as was before the tranny change.

Some of the things I've/we've done so far on top of the tranny/clutch damper change:

* new crankshaft position sensor
    *boosted 12V battery, showing 13.7V, same issue
    *my mechanic checked all connections, there's nothing seems out of ordinary
    *I used Torque andoid app with Elm Bluetooth to see if the HV battery is dead, and it shows ~47% charge remaining (also showing 2 bars on dash, so seems in agreement), although I haven't actually measured the voltage as I need to open the battery pack - this will be my next move
    *I ensured the orange jumper is installed properly, i. e. push in, slide to the right
    *my mechanic can spin the engine manually

Some more questions:
    * i do not suspect the transmission assy which houses the MG1 and MG2 is defective, and I am in denial that that's possible because i know the work involved of changing it again, so my question is, how do a i test that both motors are good? Can I ohm the three terminals out to see if the motors are bad?

* how do i test if the inverter is functioning as it should, is there a specific voltage at its output and how much?

If some of these blurbs don't make any sense please do steer me in the right direction. I am tempted to use techstream but last time I tried, it's such a hassle to get it working and just waste too much time. I kind if regretted getting this work done as it involves too much work, on top of my day job, but here's to hoping all is not hopeless, I'm sure a lot of experts here can at least provide some valuable information.