1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Serious Cleaning Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusOwner004, Aug 20, 2007.

1. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

I made the stupid mistake to clean my car out in the 110F sun last week and the stuff I sprayed evaporated almost as it was touching the glass and paint before I could wipe it off. It left tiny circles all over all the windows, especially the windshield. Since then I've been trying to wash it off with all kinds of stuff, including Windex and another one I got from Autozone which is supposed to clean so well that it "makes the glass invisible" (according to their advertisement). Nothing seems to help. The tiny circles are still there, after 5 days of cleaning and rubbing with paper and cloth. If it was on the paint, I'd assume permanent damage, but there is no way it can be permanent damage on the glass. There must be a way to get rid of it. I wish I knew what it was. :-(
    Should I try alcohol or nail polish remover? Probelm with nail polish remover is I have to be extremely careful not to drop any on the paint.

2. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Aug 20 2007, 05:31 AM) [snapback]499029[/snapback]</div>
    Both Griot's Garage and Zaino sell a mildly abrasive glass polish. It can be used by hand (Griot's makes two versions - get the agressive one if you are working by hand). It works best with an automotive random obital polishing machine, but I use it by hand for tough cleaning on windows on the house. That should clean up your problem quickly.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11074

- Tom

3. pingman

pingman New Member

4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    try washing your car with any good car wash soap and a sponge and not while its so sunny. If you can't park in the shade try waiting until late evening. Then immediately dry using either a chamois or a good micro fiber towel, if it is still evaporating too quickly wash and dry each section seperately. The Spots are supposedly caused by water impurities and soap residue.

5. mxvet

mxvet humble

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Aug 20 2007, 07:38 AM) [snapback]499059[/snapback]</div>

We see the same problem on our Jetskis. Hard water/ scum from the river leave water spots that defy the best efforts to remove. There are several boat cleaners that will do the job, but since they all contain Muriac acid, I went to the Hardware store and got a gallon (for about $3) and used a MILD solution. We use it on the plastic portions of the skis and the spots just vanish !
    Remember to add the acid to water (and just a bit will do a lot !)

6. ohershey

ohershey New Member

If the problem is water spots, they are usually Calcium or Magnesium Carbonate. A mildly acidic solution will generally disolve them. I would try household vinegar, but rinse it off when you are done.

If vinegar doesn't do the trick, take the car to a professional detailer. They have access to stronger (HCl and HF) acid cleaning products, that you wouldn't want to mess with at home.

7. mhawkin1

mhawkin1 Matt

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You could spray the window down with a soap and water mix and use a new razor blade to glide across the glass picking up anything left behind.

8. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

Thanks for all the responses! I'll let you know what works.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    [​IMG]
    http://barkeepersfriend.com/products.htm

This stuff is available is most grocery stores. I have even seen it in some auto parts stores.

Just wet the glass, pour some BKF on a wet sponge, rub the window in small circular motions, DO NOT LET IT DRY ON THE GLASS SURFACE, then rinse off with large quantities of water, then wash down the entire area - especially the nearby painted surfaces - like you normally wash a car, then give it another good rinse .

I found out about this stuff by asking an auto glass dealer how to clean glass covered in hard water spots. Amazing stuff . . . both on auto glass and in the kitchen.

Yes, it too is mildly acidic.

10. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can use detailing clay on glass. Since the normal rule is to start with something mild, and then go to stronger chemicals and abrasives if you need to, I'd start with the clay first. Acids and abrasives should be your last resort.

11. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

It's amazing what a little soap and water would do! I was stuck with the Windex and that other glass cleaner all this time and didn't try anything else till I heard your suggestions. So it finally came off with some soap and water mix and lots of rubbing.
    The cleaner that caused this is made by Stoner and it's called Invisible Glass. It's not their fault though, they do say you shouldn't apply it on direct sunlight. My mistake.