1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'Serious deterioration' for key fob?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Code Blue, May 7, 2008.

1. Code Blue

Code Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The owner's manual mentions (on page 44) that it will cause "serious deterioration" of the electronic battery in the key fob if I leave it near a TV, computer, recharging cell phone, or table lamp. Yikes.

I think when I sit at my computer, my key pocket is slightly more than 3 feet from the CPU, so that's a good thing. I used to keep my keys in a little tray on the table at the end of the bed at night, but it's right next to the TV, so I moved it.

I assume the problem is the electrical current running in these appliances even when they're off (to keep them in ready state).

But how much "serious deterioration" are we talking? I've accidentally left my key next to the TV a night or two, and it worked fine. But I don't want to get a nasty surprise if it's cumulative.

On a related note, I happen to have a spare Smart Key. I asked my dealer if he could reprogram it to give me a third, spare key. He checked and was told that the car could only have two keys programmed to it. That didn't sound right based on some of the threads I've read, but most of those involved replacing a key, so only two would still be in use. Can a third key be programmed to a 2008 Prius?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmm, I don't recall that warning in my owner's manual ('04) though I haven't read it for about 4 1/2 years. I'm not sure what 'deterioration' they're talking about but I can't imagine anything that serious...maybe the potential to drain the battery?

3. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think battery drain is what that's referring to. I was warned by the dealer to not put my cell phone in the same pocket as the key fob, so I try to avoid doing that.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm sure they are talking about battery drain. Manuals translated from Japanese have some funny turns of phrase. In one for a Japanese motorcycle, warning that the you could be killed, said: "A fatal eventuality may occur." I think that's much more polite than saying you could die.

I'm not sure about the 2004, but the newer Prius is supposed to work with up to four fobs.

Tom

5. xiola

xiola New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's funny that this should be mentioned.

I got my Prius last Friday. I was trying to sync my phone with the car and had to look up a webpage.

So I took my laptop out to the car and sat it on my purse in the passenger seat - and my key fob was in my purse. I tried to start the car and it wouldn't start. So I moved my purse to the back seat and then the car started. I looked in the owners manual and found that section about deteriorating key fobs, and that explains it.

I'm not sure it's a battery concern. I'm not an electronicx guru, so I don't have the words to explain it .

6. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are two issues, and the word deterioration can be used for either:

1) An RF source such as a cell phone or WiFi can interfere with the fob and keep it from communicating with the car. This is the problem you describe where you had to move your purse.

2) Exposure to RF as above can cause the fob to respond spuriously, using the battery in the fob. This can cause premature failure of the fob battery if it is done on a regular basis, as in having your fob and cell phone in the same pocket.

Tom

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it's just a generic CR2032 like there is one of inside
    almost any PC, squeezie-light, and many other toys nowadays,
    so it's not like it's hard to find and replace. In fact the
    2032 is a favorite power source for "throwies". I had one
    powering an LED that stayed pretty brightly lit for a *month*.
    _H*

8. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I buy CR2032s by the bag from Digikey.

Tom

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe that's what's happening to mine... it's been soo long since i've read that manual. my battery last about a year to two, seems to cut out, and not work at all.. till i pull it out of my pocket... shrug..

I've made a habit to keep my keys and phone in separate pockets.