1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Serious Engine Knock less than 4000 miles brand new, done with Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mwok86, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Temperature outside (weather data): 55F. Temperature gauge in prius: 57F. It felt more like 70F.
    It's a 2010 Prius III model that is 6 months old and has about 3942 miles and is driven VERY carefully.

I start the Prius and when the ICE engages to warm up....there's LOUD intense engine knock. I immediately turn the power off. After a couple of seconds, I start it again....the ICE engages again and then starts knocking rapidly (it is definitely knocking) and after 10 seconds....it goes back to normal. It was so intense that it may have damaged other components or the engine block itself. How long before other problems start to show up on this POS?

This is absolute b******t. I have owned several NEW and used cars and NONE OF THEM ever had this problem. A BRAND NEW CAR SHOULD NOT ENGINE KNOCK EVEN IF IT IS ******** -20F outside.

To top it of, THIS PIECE OF S**T squeals when braking and both the dashboard and rear windshield are rattling. This is POOR QUALITY. This is just TOO MANY PROBLEMS FOR ONE CAR THAT HAS LESS THAN 4000 miles.

What EXACTLY should I tell the dealership? I'm going to probably start with several F words about Toyota's poor quality. I'm smacking myself in the head for buying this pos instead of going with a different brand, I bought it because I've owned several old rock solid Toyota's....obviously the 2005+ quality is going downhill.

2. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    LOL...

In the very least before you start going nuts...take it to the dealer and have them look at it. Its a machine...and things go wrong regardless of how well built it is. Perhaps you got a bad tank of gas? Ever thought of that?

Nothing in life is perfect...calm down.

If you wan't to act like a child...thats exactly what you should do. The guy at the dealer didn't build your car...he just works at the dealer.

If you want to be a mature adult, describe the issue and give it to them to be looked at and repaired.

Its just a car, get a grip...sheesh.

7 people like this.
  3. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will this show up on the Car Fax history report? Let me guess what it will say, ENGINE KNOCK bringing the resale value down to 0.

I use the same gas station all the time for all my cars. They don't knock (one has 200K miles). Sometimes when I start the Prius, there is also a slight vibration like the engine is mounted using superglue.

I'm pissed at Toyota. If the knock occurred at 60k miles, that's one thing BUT AT 4000 miles on a car that is very carefully driven? THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THAT.

Also, what the ***** is up with the squealing when braking? Are they using brake discs/drums supplied from China?!?!? And they could actually try preventing rattles by using nails to hold pieces together instead of a cheap snap-in superglue plastic system. I didn't know a nail system would add 10K extra to the cost, probably decided by someone on Toyota who failed business 101.

Some of the posts here are about rattling and squealing brakes. Toyota needs to step up.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

1 person likes this.
  5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Again...take 5 deep breaths and calm down. You need to think rationally...and not jump around like a crazy person.

No, its not going to show up on a carfax. You don't even know what the problem is yet, or even if there is a problem with the vehicle. Take it to the dealer. If you're afraid to drive it, call Toyota and have it towed. Even if the whole engine were replaced...it wouldn't show up on a carfax.

But they don't have the same fuel all the time.

Like I said before, its a machine, and a machine with an engine that is not very well isolated or particularly refined sounding or feeling. It vibrates from time to time.

No excuse for what? You don't even know what the issue is yet.

Take it to the dealer...and let us know what they say...but you have got to get control of yourself first...or they're going to think you're as off your rocker as we do and they aren't going to want to help you...

2 people like this.
  6. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  7. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was the fuel? If it was the fuel, how come it started knocking when there is 2 bars left?
    Engine is too hot? Engine can't be hot since I just started it.
    Improper Combustion Process? From the explanation given, this sounds like poor quality/design flaw.
    Internal Mechanical problem? Poor quality/design flaw/recall.

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If its anything mechanically wrong...they'll fix it under warranty.

Just take it to the dealer...us sitting here trying to figure it out is pointless.

I might be tempted to start it and let it idle for a minute or so and see if it smooths out. Sometimes weird things like that happen once and then never happen again.

On the '03 Lexus one time I started it up from cold and it knocked and smoked for maybe 25 seconds and then smoothed out and was fine...and always was fine after that. Mechanic could find nothing wrong. All I can figure is it was sitting in a driveway when people were blowing leaves out from around it and under it before I started it, maybe something got blown up into the motor?

My Dad had a Cadillac years ago and I remember one time he started it...it knocked real bad and smoked...and then was fine and always was fine after that.

Condensation in a fuel line from sitting, bad gas, a birds nest in the intake...who knows...

Don't just automatically assume its some terrible design flaw...its far more likely its a minor environmental thing...remember yesterday it did not knock...today it knocks. Something has changed from yesterday to today.

If you take it to the dealer, and don't act like an entitled raving lunatic, they'll get to the bottom of it.

1 person likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to the club!

Several of us have had this 'one time', knocking on one startup. We've not been able to reproduce it so it remains one of those mysteries of life.

As for your other problems, no idea. Our Prius had no such problems.

Bob Wilson

10. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After 30 seconds, it did smooth out and I drove it to work. I'm going to get it checked out today. I'm still going to be pissed it happened (brand new car, less than 4000 miles) and my opinion of Toyota has significantly declined.

Also, yesterday, some contractors were digging up the ground about couple of feet away from the rear of my car. Not sure if they put something in the exhaust pipe.

Also, can someone confirm that when they engages the ICE multiple times, there is a slight "tug" (sort of like bad transmission in an old car)? I'm driving in bumper to bumper traffic sometimes and have to engage the ICE multiple times. I noticed sometimes the ICE "tugs" the transmission very slightly (not even noticeable).

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Now we're getting a much better picture. I bet they find nothing wrong and it never happens again.

If you let your opinion of Toyota decline thats up to you, but its a machine out in the elements where things can get in it and happen to it. Stuff like that happens to all cars...from all manufacturers.

If you expect perfection...you'll always be disappointed.

1 person likes this.
  12. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will trade it for a Nissan Leaf sometime next mid year. No more BS combustion engine or transmission crap.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I special ordered new a 2000 GMC Sierra with a Vortec 5.3 V8. From new, cold start it knocked like an old diesel. It also used around 1 quart of oil every 900 miles

GM claimed all of that was perfectly normal!

However, over 4 years and 80,000 miles, the knock never got worse. I was finally able to find a die-hard GM fanboy to sell it to, that truck currently has 170,000 miles on it, still knocking away

As far as brake squealing, my FJ has done that from new. It has very strong and aggressive brakes, and I wouldn't trade the brake performance for quiet brakes. It stops on a dime, much better brakes than the Prius I used to have

As far as the ICE behaviour in city traffic, my Prius did that too. You get used to it, they all do it

14. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You're not looking for answers...you're just trying to stir up s**t. Gotcha.

2 people like this.
  15. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Assuming not trolling, perusing the various threads mowk has created:

http://priuschat.com/forums/search/search-id/2689043/

he's under severe anxiety from owning this car in which case I recommend simply getting rid of it and switching to something else. If you're for real, mwok, this car is NOT for you. You are grossly incompatible with it. Sell it, it's clearly causing you extensive duress.

When you write things like:
    I'm like what the...it's as likely to show up in a car fax report as an argument you had with somebody in the car would show up on it.

Assuming you're not a troll, you use the forums like a clinical setting to calm totally over-the-top anxieties.

Use nails to hold trim together in a car? Heck, why stop at that, use some high-PSI concrete and lag bolts from Home Depot and top seal it with some liquid asphalt.

I did also have that once, I think it was in fact around 4k but I can't remember, maybe 8k. Only happened once and never again and I forgot about it until now.

LOL classic. Yeah, they either shoved a banana in the end or maybe a tiny fleck of dirt got in the exhaust pipe and a ripple effect has now destroyed the fuel system. This car is a symptom, it is not your root cause.

Stop worrying about it. Your car is fine.

1 person likes this.
  16. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just went back and looked at some of his other posts and boy are you right LOL.

My favorite is the one about the "evil beltway" and can the Prius handle it. I've driven on the Beltway for 15 years in all manner of vehicles...the Prius is more than capable of handling it and the roads in DC aren't THAT bad.

Nowadays at rush hour you might get up to 35MPH on the Beltway if you're lucky.

The Prius is the perfect car for DC, it really is.

1 person likes this.
  17. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I believe GM are releasing a new car soon and it will be right up your street. Perhaps you could trade in your defective Prius for one of these? Just think, no more BS combustion engine, well not if you go less than 40 miles or so.

18. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :rolleyes::Cry::violin::drama::sick::lalala:
    :wacko:

1 person likes this.
  19. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are not a candidate for a Leaf. I can picture the posts now:

"I drove before the battery was fully charged, did I damage it?"
    "It was cold when I drove my car and accelerated hard at a light, did I damage it?"
    "I drove in the rain, damage?"
    All will culminate with:
    "I can only get 91 miles, not 100 on this thing, screw Nissan POS I hate this car."

5 people like this.
  20. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    WOW. lol....if you guys want a good read, look up some of the post started by mwok86.

I do believe the above advice was correct. Sell this car and get something else more suited to your taste, and that you would be more comfortable with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.