1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Serious hesitation on Camry Hybrid

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by zo6tosv, Oct 19, 2007.

1. zo6tosv

zo6tosv New Member

Before I go the dealer route just wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue. Riding at highway speeds with the foot on the gas pedal holding a steady speed accelerating is no problem, passing cars is no problem.
    However, when lifting off the gas pedal and then pushing it down again causes the car to do nothing for almost two seconds. It's almost as if it's trying to figure out what to do, then all the power kicks in. This can be dangerous actually if not expected and i almost found out the hard way the first time it happened. At highway speed the person in front of me decides to step on the brake, i lift off the gas, look in the side view mirror and had plenty of time to hit the gas and switch lanes, or so i thought. As mentioned above the car just did nothing with my foot down for a couple of seconds which seemed like an eternity. All i saw was the car behind me approaching and suddenly the power kicked in and off i went. I know the guy behind me must have thought 'why is this idiot switching lanes in front of me and going nowhere?', which happens alot on the highway especially on 'sundays'.
    So i tested the car again in a parking lot and the same thing happened. Wondering if this is happening or will happen to anybody else. If i would have to guess i think this is a software issue. Any input would be appreciated.
    Car is a 2007.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the engine is already on, then it should. However, if it switches off, then yes there's a slight delay as the engine comes on then spools up to some rpm.

The delay shouldn't be any longer than a regular car with DBW. On a car with DBW, there's a lag before the computer realises that you want more power and then of course the car has to downshift.

3. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is a small lag before the electric motor kicks in sometimes. It can usually be overcome by planning ahead or pushing down farther on the pedal. The delay seems long but is really shorter than most cars. Thie difference is that for that 1-2 seconds nothing then wamo! all the power in the world. Other car decieve yo by ramping up the rpm's soo you think your accelerating but not really that much.

4. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 19 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]527882[/snapback]</div>
    From what I hear this is not uncommon with ANY car anymore. If you want some fun, check out the Lexus ES300 forums... (2001-2006)

BTW. I am very happy with my TCH - I highly recommend it. Bought it in June 2006 and have almost 29k miles already. No problems at all, except for a dash squeak that they all get (fixable).

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n8kwx @ Oct 19 2007, 04:15 PM) [snapback]527951[/snapback]</div>
    I believe the ES is the transmission lag, no?

I'm talking about the drive-by-wire system. On the Camry, it had the same effect. If I'm stopped and I floor the accelerator, there's a lag before anything happens.

6. gil

gil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have an 07 Camry Hybrid and an 05 Prius and have never experienced this lag you mentioned in either car. If it is as pronounced as you say and is reproducible, I'd take it to the dealer and make sure you demonstrate it to the Hybrid mechanic not just describe it to the service writer. I've found with at least the dealer I bought the Prius from, I have to show the mechanic the problem or you get it back with "can't reproduce" or "no problem found" which is a complete waste of time for you.

I'm extremely pleased with both cars, especially the Camry; it's as quiet as any Lexus.

Good luck and let us know if they find the cause.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zo6tosv @ Oct 19 2007, 02:28 PM) [snapback]527863[/snapback]</div>
    When I drive my Prius and I think I might want to consider passing someone in the near future, I immediately press the throttle to the floor.

Immediately!!

Then, while the powertrain is gathering itself for the effort, I kind of assess the situation, maybe check my hair in the rearview, and decide what I'm going to do.

*Pass? No problem, because the power I'd asked for earlier will just be arriving. Perfect timing!
    *No Pass? No problem, for the same reason. The car hasn't actually begun accelerating yet; I release the throttle and it's like nothing happened!
    [smile]

Okay, it's not nearly that bad, but --honestly-- this car has the most throttle lag of any production car I've ever driven, even old ones with turbochargers.

I don't think it's dangerous, but, yes, there's definitely a second or so there which can seem EXTREMELY long if you'd like to go, but the car isn't ready yet.

--------------

I believe the lag has primarily to do with the nature of the Power Split Device, and if the gasoline engine happens to be running at that moment or not.

8. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zo6tosv @ Oct 19 2007, 12:28 PM) [snapback]527863[/snapback]</div>
    Both of our Priuses have done this since the day they we got them, although I'd say the delay is more like half a second. It's definitely real, you can clearly see it on the acceleration graphs of the hybrid Camry on Road & Track's hybrid comparison article from a few months ago, and they also mention it in their story.

What I've done to prevent this from ever being a problem is always ease into the accelerator until it's half open and then nail it to the floor after about half a second. I don't get the delay that way. It's only when I stomp on the pedal from 0% throttle that I get the delay.

Many drivers will never notice the lag because they don't drive aggressively enough to trigger it.

9. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 19 2007, 07:14 PM) [snapback]527981[/snapback]</div>
    The ES was (is) DBW. A few people complained (an understatement) while others didn't notice a problem. Lots of flame wars back and forth...

As far as the Camry, I have never had an instance where I noticed any lag. And once in a while I do drive it hard. (It's not a V8 like my old car, but I get over twice the milage)

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sheez, if you're cutting your lane changes that close in front of
    other people, the problem doesn't appear to be with the car.
    _H*

11. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    same with the prius, and the rx400h... although the 400h has a lot more power. hehe..

i do the same as Pinto Girl. she kinda reminds me of me later in life.. but female.. and more grown up.

anyways.. yeah.. you'll get it.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n8kwx @ Oct 19 2007, 09:54 PM) [snapback]528080[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah but their complaints were about the lazy transmission wasn't it?

If not, then there's both the transmission and the DBW issue?

13. zo6tosv

zo6tosv New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Oct 20 2007, 01:01 AM) [snapback]528082[/snapback]</div>

Very funny, i'm addressing a serious issue. Read the post again. does it say that at anytime the upcoming driver had to jam on his brakes? does it even say he honked at me? Let me make it clear: When i switched lanes, i should have been accelerating but i wasn't for a couple of seconds. You can figure out the rest can't you? It never fails, there's always one in the crowd.

or is this my initiation test??

14. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zo6tosv @ Oct 21 2007, 03:42 PM) [snapback]528565[/snapback]</div>
    You haven't had your drink of the purple kook-aid yet. Once you've had it, you'll become a Prius apologist too.

It's *never* the car's fault. It's always something the driver is doing.

15. zo6tosv

zo6tosv New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Oct 21 2007, 06:48 PM) [snapback]528566[/snapback]</div>

There's an old saying what goes around comes around: http://priuschat.com/seat-belt-follies-t38644.html

I'm just in one of those moods today. I just find it funny that someone is questioning my driving skills without even knowing who i am. My screen name wasn't just made up, it's actual experience.

But it's all in fun.

Peace :)

16. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 20 2007, 01:56 AM) [snapback]528103[/snapback]</div>
    It's my understanding that both are computer controlled to "better" work together. Better being smoother shifts and improved fuel economy. So the "throttle" response is a combination of what you want and what the transmission wants.

Even on my old car (1995 Chevy Impala SS - Caprice with a Corvette motor) there were a few combinations of speed, loading, and gear where you would sometimes experience some hesitation. But the 5.7L V8 would quickly compensate. :D

I've never sworn at my car for not moving when I want it to. Your driving style will quickly change with the car. To get the best fuel economy (40+MPG average) you never want full throttle anyway.

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the engine isn't running when you mash the accelerator it takes a second or so to start. Power and torque at the wheel are reduced until then. This simply has to be accounted for when driving.

18. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Show me where in the irrelevant seatbelt post I was dealing with
    proximity to other drivers.
    If you're changing into a faster lane and you haven't already begun
    and stabilized your "burn" before you even start moving over, you're
    being anything but smooth. Especially if someone's close.
    If you haven't left sufficient room to begin said burn without
    crunching into whoever's in front of you, then, well, insert the
    usual rant here. Specious arguments about how "space cushion is an
    impossible fantasy" duly ignored, for large values of it anyways.
    Abruptness kills.
    Now, I will point out that the HSD in its myriad forms does use the
    battery and motors sort of as the moral equivalent of an "accelerator
    pump" or other enrichment means, but whose quantity is a little
    limited. Meanwhile, everything possible is done to *prevent* the
    gas engine from running anything other than stoichiometric, so no
    "burst of power" there. So you draw a somewhat anemic "punch it"
    response from the battery until the ICE spools up enough to match
    the power you're asking for. This generally requires a slightly
    slower opening of the throttle flap, to prevent stumbling. This is
    a well-known characteristic, obvious to most owners of a week or
    two duration.
    _H*

19. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What's annoying is that the throttle is drive-by-wire, so the computer should do the right thing when I floor it. I shouldn't be able to outperform the computer by easing into the throttle and then flooring it, but I can.

20. zo6tosv

zo6tosv New Member

now this is a comment i can appreciate.

Thank you everybody.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Oct 21 2007, 10:35 PM) [snapback]528634[/snapback]</div>