1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seriously considering a new Prius ... observations and a question or two

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by JRMurray, Mar 20, 2008.

1. JRMurray

JRMurray Magnetic Gray is the only way!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    everyone,

I'm a long-time Priuschat lurker and Prius wannabe. :)

I'm getting closer and closer to buying a 2008 Prius--the Special Edition Premium model here in Canada, but to provide a bit of perspective, I own a 2004 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor sedan and have enjoyed driving it. It's responsive (for a four-cylinder, anyway), comfortable and has most of the bells and whistles: leather, 6 CD changer, power seats, rain-sensing wipers, auto headlights, yadda, yadda, yadda. It's pretty expensive to keep on the road, though: maintenance and parts are costly, and it takes premium gas, currently around CAN $1.30 per litre, or about US $4.90 per US gallon.

I have been reading Priuschat for months, and I finally took a test drive in a Special Edition Premium Prius last weekend. I had expected a rough, somewhat loud, slow ride in comparison to that of my Mercedes. I had expected to be underwhelmed with the interior and the fabric upholstery (leather is not a factory option in Canada for some reason).

Was I ever surprised! The Prius was nothing like what I expected: great ride, quiet, but above all ... it was COOOOOOL! The interior was much more spacious than my C230, and the quality was actually pretty good. Even the upholstery was good.

My mind is pretty well made up, so now it comes down to making the final decision at some point and then arranging the financing, which is actually not an issue as my wife works at a bank as a lender.

I do have two questions ...

First, I live in a suburb of Vancouver, BC. It gets a little cold in the winter here, with weather patterns similar to those in Seattle. How long does it take for the interior of the Prius to warm up when the temperature is around 5 degrees Celsius (40 degrees Fahrenheit)? Does it take longer than a conventional ICE-powered car?

Also, can anyone tell me approximately what their maintenance costs were for the following equivalent period? I drive about 27,000 kms per year (about 16,700 mi), and last year, I spent a little more than $800 for regular maintenance--for an A service (minor) and a B service (major) in Mercedes-speak. Of course, this cost doesn't include tires, just straight recommended servicing.

Hope I've posted this in the right place.

Thanks in advance,

Joel

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Joel, welcome to PriusChat out here in the open...

Let me address your last question first. I think the US and Canada maintenance is the same. You'll need three oil and filter changes in 16,700 miles. The Prius uses regular gas, of course. Rotate the tires with the oil change. I don't think there's any other maintenance. Cost probably under $100.

The Prius cabin heater, like any car, gets most of it's heat from the Internal Combustion Engine. Unlike other cars, since it is designed for minimum air pollution, getting the ICE and exhaust hot is a high priority, which is at odds with getting you warm. To compensate, there are two small ceramic electric heaters in the air vents going to the front foot wells. You won't be too chilly for too long.

Now, with the exchange rate as it is, why don't you come down to Washington and get a nice leather equipped package and import it? You'd have to retrofit DRLs, but that's pretty minor. Do some searching here as several Canadians have imported US Prius.

3. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And if you'd like to reduce the warm up time even further, consider using an engine block heater (EBH). Although I've never found it necessary even in the coldest of Chicago winter mornings, it will cost you approx. $40 US. You can plug it into a timer so it turns on a couple of hours before your typical commute. It's likely to reduce your fuel usage in the morning as well, since the engine won't need to burn as much fuel to reach normal operating temperature.

4. Linden

Linden New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If your lucky you can find a dealer that includes Oil Changes for free.. I'm guessing they are doing this because of the Canadian Dollar, but I just bought my Prius on Monday, and I got 7 years Oil Changes complimentary - every 6 months or 8000KM.

I'm sure heat will not be an issue, its a bit cooler here than Vancouver and I've found the car warms up very quickly.

As for buying in the U.S. - with the $2000 CDN rebate, the price is not a whole lot different. (if you compare with a U.S. Touring Version, and add up all the extra taxes/fees)

5. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Seems to me that the car warms up just a little bit slower than a non-hybrid, but not enough that you'd notice much of a difference, and if you have an engine block heater it will eliminate that problem, plus give you a happier engine and better mileage on cold days.

Maintenance costs for a year or 16-17000 miles? That's three or four oil changes, and a couple of tire rotations.....$150-200.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello and welcome!

The heater works well in our conditions. It has a little electric heater that puts out modest heat until the engine can warm up. But yeah just set it at 23°C or 24°C and you can stay nice and warm. During the cold spell last November, it took about 10 blocks before the heater starting blowing out warm air (about 5ish mins) and that was when it was 0°C outside. I don't have a block heater. It takes about the same time as our 02 Camry with a 4 cylinder engine.

Maintenance costs will be lower than your Mercedes for sure but you will service more often (every 8,000km) instead of 15,000 or 16,000 on your MB. My 2005 Prius has logged 78,500km and my total maintenance cost for the 3 and a bit years is $784.69. Total fuel cost is $3,744.92 for the 78,500ish kms. (Starting from 65.9¢/litre back then).

For Toyota, the first 3 services are oil changes only at $40 incl. tax (give or take). The 4th service is the "full maintenance" one at about $170 incl. tax and depends on what other services later on in the vehicle life like engine air filter and so forth.

So for the first year, it's < $100. The second year onwards, it's about $210 or so?

You can change the cabin air filter at Canadian Tire for $19.95++ (particulate air filter) vs. the Toyota one (dust & pollen air filter) at $34.95++

7. Oddest_raindrop

Oddest_raindrop New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well at least your starting at 32F 0C and not -22F -30C like here... a for quite a few days it was in the -teens this year and about 5 minute into the drive the heater would start blowing on auto warm air. It would take about 10 minutes to 15 mintues before it would start to get comforatable. how ever my trips where just 20 minute drives to work. My old car was about to the same so I never noticed any real differnce. This time of year around 32 the auto will kick off when set at 68 after about 10- 15 minute drive, depends on the sunlight that day.

8. JRMurray

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow! Quite a difference! Thanks for all the info. It certainly appears that the lower maintenance costs are yet another factor in favour of the Prius (in addition to the lower gas costs and the lower emissions).

Another question: My C230 has leather, and after 4.25 years, the interior looks great. Assuming that I take as good care of a fabric interior as I do a leather one, how well does the fabric on the interior hold up? I don't mean spots and things that can be cleaned; I'm thinking about wear.

Again, thanks to everyone for responding. You'll all quite a friendly bunch!

Cheers!

Joel

P.S. Tideland, whereabouts are you located? Somewhere in the Lower Mainland?

9. JRMurray

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the info, Bill. I've already read a lot about importing, but I'm planning on trading in my C230, so that won't really work for me. In addition, we get a $2000 cheque from the federal government, in addition to a break on the provincial sales tax, so as someone else has mentioned in this thread, the costs are similar.

Also, my next door neighbour sells Toyotas for a living, so I'm counting on her to give me the best possible deal. :)

Cheers!

Joel

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 04 with 72,000km looks like new.

11. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You're welcome, Joel. I was thinking about your desire for leather seating when I suggested importing a Prius. Personally, I don't like leather; too cold in the winter and hot in the summer. The fabric in the Prius wears very well and resists soiling even better.

Shortly after getting my 2005, a valet with a ballpoint pen sticking out of his jacket pocket gave me my car with a very ugly center-console cover. I was heartsick at the smeared ink in my new car. The hotel promised to make me whole and replace the cover if necessary. I used a laundry stain remover wipe and the ink disappeared. Later, my wife found a muddy dog running loose on the road. She picked it up to save it, but the back seat was covered in red clay mud. I wiped it down with damp cloths and vacuumed the seat when it was dry and you would never have known.

Like Patsparks' car, the 2005's seats look as good as new.

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I might add, I now have sheepskin covers over the seats, way better than leather. I put them on at 65,000km. Cool in summer warm in winter, why put up with leather without wool?

13. JRMurray

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Once again, thanks for all the info!

I guess the final decision is the colour, then. :) I'm really partial to magnetic gray, but black looks pretty good, too.

Cheers!

Joel

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well moving from the MB to any Toyota will result in that kind of reduction of maintenance costs heh. Buy a Lexus and the difference will be smaller.

You might even get a reduction in insurance cost (cause you're moving from a "luxury" car to a "regular" car.. however ICBC categorizes the cars/SUVs lol). Also if you go to downtown often, sign up for EasyPark's "EasyGreen" sticker. That'll get you 50% off parking rates at all their locations ($2 all day at Pacific Centre in the weekend? A deal if you ask me).

It should be ok. I take care of my vehicle well and after 78,500ish kms and 3 and a bit years, it looks ok (Esp. the driver's seat cause we have 3 drivers sharing it). But then again, none of us wear jeans so the wear on the seat is a little less than if all 3 of us wore jeans. You can always get leather added at this place on Commercial Dr. that does Katzkins leather.

Yeah I'm in the Lower Mainland.