1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seriously considering getting a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by D'Tan, Mar 22, 2005.

1. D'Tan

D'Tan New Member

I'm looking at getting a Pirus, and the enthusiasm for it has impressed me (the annual Consumer Reports car issue put it at the top of the list for consideration when I saw 94% satisfaction). I'm thinking that the AM package would be the one I want the most. Do you think that the RS3200 security and/or the auto mirror are worth the extra price?

2. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

There are several posts about how people have gone to great trouble to get that mirror.

I not only have the BC package, but the glass break sensor as well.

Perhaps the official Toyota glass break sensor decals will prove to be a deterrent. Pulling the cover over the rear and leaving no temptations in sight is my rule as well.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    or leaving stuff under the floor and the cover retracted to show that nothing's there could work too.

Edit:

Sorry I forgot to reply to the initial post. I love the auto-dimming mirror since you don't have to deal with the flippy switch. Also, you get Homelink with the mirror so no more garage door openers clipped to sunvisors.

4. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hello,

First of all, I heartily encourage you to strongly consider the Prius as your next car. I have been blissfully happy with mine for the entire time that I have had her (since 7pm on Feb. 4th 05).

As to your question, when I was shopping for my car I did a cost breakdown of the individual items within the different accessories packages (assuming that you could pick and choose your options and were not limited to the preset packages).

I choose a package 3 or BI and thus can not speak to whether or not the mirror is "worth it", I can however tell you that the mirror & anti-theft system adds $470 to the price of any package that it appears in. The HID & fog lights + VSC add $975, the seat-mounted airbags tack on $650, the stereo upgrade is $620, SKS is $450 and NAV adds $1900.

The different packages are priced at: Package 1 GY (airbags) $650, Package 2 AG (Mirror & Anti-theft, SKS) $920, Package 3 BI (Airbags & SKS) $1,100, Package 4 AM (extra airbags, SKS, HID's & VSC) $2,075 ($2,990 less than #6), Package 5 or AI (extra airbags, SKS Anti-theft system & mirror & JBL 6 disc cd) $2,190 ($2,875 less than #6), and the Package 6 BC (the whole enchilada - extra air bags, Anti-theft & Mirror, SKS, HID's, Fog lights & VSC, JBL 3 in 1 CD & NAV) $5,065.

One thing to consider is that the car already has a built in theft deterrent system standard and that the thing that seems to be attacked on these cars (at this point) is the HID lights. As they are not linked to the anti-theft system they are pretty much unprotected.

I think, were it me and I were trying to decide between the 4 & the 5 I would probably opt for 5 over 4. At a difference of $115 between the packages I think that the 5 is the better value for your money. You would get all the goodies (except NAV) and leave out the one trouble spot that might get your car damaged.

Of course if you can afford it spring for package 6. I have already told my hubby that I want NAV on my next Prius and to tide me over I want an aftermarket GPS/NAV system now.

Remember, in the far, far future should you ever wish to upgrade your Prius to the latest and greatest model the resale value will be potentially higher with more bells and whistles on the car.

Good luck whatever you choose as long as it is a Prius I am sure you will be very happy with it indeed.

Take care,

Tisza

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D'Tan\";p=\"74480)</div>
    I think those are questions for you to answer yourself.

Do you live in an area where you feel you need the alarm system?

Rest assured, even without the alarm system, the Prius would be one very difficult vehicle to steal. Unlike an old style car, there is just no known way for a thief to hotwire a Prius.

Do you have a HomeLink compatible automatic garage door? If not, reaching up for the day/night lever on the standard mirror is really worth the price of not paying for the fancy feature.

I can personally vouch for the #4 (AM) “Safety†model. For me the choice boiled down to VSC or VSC. And the only way to get VSC is the #4 (AM) or #6 (BC) models. I would have been happy with either model, but just couldn’t justify paying for the NAV and upgrade stereo.

Now if you really want to look really smart . . . Salsa! :wink:

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

To clarify Tiza's comments on Theft Deterrent, when Toyota mentions Theft Deterrent, they are talking about the alarm, not immoblizer. All the packages have the alarm installed, just that some packages have it turned off, and can be turned back on in 1 minute 20 seconds using the scantool. Knowing that, you can bargain with them considering it will cost them $6 in labor for 5 minutes of work to "install" the alarm system. That, or bargain that they give you the alarm for free, but you'll purchase the Glass Breakage Sensor.
    I love the mirror for both its features.

7. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I'd go with the AM package, at the minimum, with the safety of extra airbags, Vehicle Stability Control, and High Intensity Discharge headlights. The homelink/dimming mirror can be added later, as can a six-CD in-dash changer. Either dealer-installed or buy it and install it yourself (lots of install tips and manuals here at Priuschat). I think I would've really enjoyed the 'upgrade' to my package (Nav, Voice activation, Bluetooth capability), but I have heard (no pun intended) that the JBL stereo is not worth trying to get the higher equipped package. 'Course, as in most things, your mileage (and tastes) will vary! Love my Prius.

8. louwala

louwala Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I made a committment in 1988 when I bought my last new car that would never make car payments again on a gasoline engine - as time went on, it was clear that my next new car would be a hybrid. I finally took delivery on my 2005 Salsa on 3/10 6 months after ordering (par for Portland) and couldn't be happier. I purchased through Auto Solutions so never stepped foot in a dealership (hence no sales pressure for any of the options). Personally, the Prius won out over the other Hybrids for me only because it is 2nd generation and proven, the gas mileage is better than any of them (I was getting 35mpg on my 1991 Civic so wasn't going to go backwards), the roomy back seat and cargo space, and the unique, sleek design.

On my own, I choose to go with just the standard model as it met all of my personal requirements and has more than enough gadgetry for those of us that have never even had electric windows or front air bags, and I'm frugal almost to a fault. So far, I haven't seen anyone else that hasn't chosen some option package on these lists. There is an extremely large market for hybrids for earth-friendly people that can't afford to spend 22-25K+ for a car at all so I'm confident that by the time I'm ready to sell, I'll have no problem getting a fair price.

All that said, I'm getting spoiled quickly:)

9. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I also have a basic model, and love it! Feel the same about the re-sale value. Good luck!

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I not only love the autodimming mirror, I modeled John1701a and covered the sensor. This way it always thinks it's dark and the mirror is always dark. When I want it light - which it not often - I turn it off.

11. mrpember

mrpember New Member

Hi all,

I closed on an '05 package 3 last night, picking up the car tomorrow. I have a question about the information below:

12. Caitlin

Caitlin New Member

I found priuschat today! We ARE getting a 2005 Prius. We want to get the most for our money, of course. We live in Va. Looking into Package 4.
    What should I pay w/floor mats? What is the absolute lowest price I can expect for an MSRP car? 8)

13. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi Michael and Congratulations!

To clarify DanMan's clarification of my post (how muddy is that?). What I was referring to is the fact that the car will only be able to be started by the use of the keyfob meant for that car.

There is no hotwiring possible, no ignition that can be "punched" and it can't be push-started. So, all in all, that makes it a pretty well protected automobile. You would have to flatbed it to take it away.

What the built-in theft deterrant's do not do is protect the car from being damaged should some big poo-poo head decided that they want your car, or some part of it, more than you do. So, an additional alarm sensor, perhaps with a glass breakage sensor could provide peace of mind. Especially, if your car is not able to be parked in a secure garage or other safe area.

Of course, we all know that if alarms prevented auto theft entirely, there would be alarms standard on just about every car and no one would ever have to go to where they parked it only to find a big glaring empty space, perhaps littered with broken glass as the only evidence that shortly before their car was there.

If you do consider getting an alarm system, you might wish to investigate either Lo-jack (the system that DanMan may be referring to). It is my understanding that all the cars have the system installed and active whilst they are at or on lots and you can have the dealer either de-activate the system for free (it can be reactivated for a modest fee) or leave it active and pay for the service.

Alternatively, if you choose to go the aftermarket alarm route look into getting a system that not only makes an irritating noise but also has a pager that will tell you personally if your car is being tampered with.

Haven't we all gone into parking lots or structures and heard a car alarm blaring ad infinitum and IGNORED it? I know that I have. Of course, I do take a quick gander at the offending auto to see that the glass is intact and nothing appears to be amiss. But some cars motion alarms are so sensitive that the vibrations caused by other cars driving near it will be enough to set it off.

A pager system tells you whereever you are that your car needs help. I think of it like a baby monitor. Do you have to have one to successfully raise your child from infant to adulthood? No, but it does offer some peace of mind knowing that no matter where you are if you have the monitor close you can reassure yourself that all is well.

I also have a package 3 and have elected not to have either the lo-jack or an aftermarket alarm installed at this time. Things may change in the future.

I may decide to turn lo-jack back on (it was actually my hubby's decision to de-activate the system) at some future date. But I feel reasonably safe and secure at this time knowing that just as it rolled off the assembly line, my car is pretty well protected all by itself and that is what I use to get my piece of mind.

Again congratulations and may you have hundred's of thousands of happy, trouble free, environmentally responsible and downright cool miles to come.

Take care,

Tisza

14. Caitlin

Caitlin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Caitlin\";p=\"75838)</div>
    OH! I failed to mention..We are a family of 4, all of us pretty darn skinny....we love to travel by auto. Our boy is almost 11..and girl is 7 yrs. The kids love that we are getting a Prius! (Yes, I am responding to my own post) I will be so D___ grateful for any tips when going to purchase w/ loan and great credit rating. \
    :mrgreen: -cait

15. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Caitlin\";p=\"75838)</div>
    Caitlin -
    Call Priority Toyota in Petersburg. I and several friends got cars from them at MSRP, within a week (Before the production increase). I think Priority has a Toyo dealer in Norfolk as well and would be closer.

16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Consumer Reports offers car buying advice that I found useful. I did all of my canvassing and negotiating by phone and fax, starting with seven dealers and ending up at $300 under MSRP. See
    http://www.consumerreports.org/main/conten...detail_auto.jsp?

Travelling with kids? Be certain that the battery cooling vent on the left side of the rear seat is *never* covered by anything (blankets, pillows, et cetera).

17. Caitlin

Caitlin New Member

Thank you Pop and Richard :? We have a dealer that is doing great by us, so far. I appreciate the feedback. consumerreports.org was one of two sites that led us to our decision to purchase the Prius. Have you guys ever checked out whypaysticker.com? It is very informative. cait

18. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

Not knowing your situation, I just wanted to make sure you knew that you didn't have to wait in our area.

19. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

From Kyle:

neither it has nothing to do with the horn or GBS. That is how it operates. It has to be turned on. This is the operation in scan tool.
    1 customize
    2 DOP
    3 ON
    If this was in the repair manuals we would all know about it already. It is in the Alarm install instrucitions.

Scantool is required in order for a Toyota to do just about anyting on a Prius, and many things on other models of their cars.

And no, wasn't talking about lojack. Prius doesn't come with that. Comes with a noisemaker when it detects intrusion, though as I said, it may be deactivated.

20. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hello All!

This message is primarily for Cait. Have you checked out what options may be available through your credit union? If you have not checked with them yet or have not started an account with one, an impending auto purchase is a great reason to do so and a great way to start.

We went through my hubby's credit union for the purchase of both of our cars (his 2004 Pathfinder and my 2005 Prius). He got very favorable rates on both deals (much better than the dealership could or would offer) including direct withdrawl of the payment from his credit union account, a really low interest rate, and 3 months deferrment on the first payment (for the Nissan) 2 months for the Prius. The difference in deferrment times was due to the fact that he used their auto buying service to find his car and I scouted my Prius out myself.

Also, some credit unions offer a "Clean Air Car Loan" which gives you an additional discount for having purchased an environmentally friendly car. This can amount to as much as an additional 1.75% off whatever the best rate is that has been offered.

If you are going to go through the dealership for financing, and you are a recent college grad there are additional discounts available for that as well.

Just remember that you don't have to get everything right there when you are signing the papers. By that I mean, you don't have to get the extended warrenty immediately upon purchase. You have the life of the original warrenty period to upgrade. So you have 3 years/36,000 miles, whichever comes first to make your decision.

Also, if you do choose to purchase the warrenty, be sure to drop the PriusChat rate that is available here through a group buy (it is listed in another thread) at $985. When I mentioned this at the dealership my car came from they immediately offered to match that price. Originally, they were telling me that the additional warrenty would be $2000! Quite a difference!

Be sure to ask to check the oil level before you leave the lot to ensure that it has not been overfilled. You might also wish to take a tire pressure gauge with you (either digital or one that measures in 1psi increments) so that you can have your tire pressure adjusted if need be.

A camera would also be a good idea, not only to record the joyous occasion but also to document the exact condition the car was in when you picked it up should you ever need that info.

Remember, at the end of the transaction is when they will (if they are going to) try to upsell you on other items. In the heat of the moment it is easy to get distracted by the excitement and your hunger for the car. Much like going to the grocery store when you are starved, going to the dealership in a similar condition can result in the purchase of a lot of "junk" that sounds good at the time but ultimately proves to be less than satisfying.

Most of the add on gadgets that they offer in the cute little gift shop/parts department can be purchased elsewhere for half price or less and I would highly advise your waiting until you get the car home to see what you really want and need.

The rear bumper protector or applique is a good idea if you will be loading or unloading large, heavy or ungainly items via the hatch. It will run you about $54 through the dealer but can be purchased through various sellers via ebay for less than half that.

Floor mats (other than the custom ones made by Toyota that say Prius on them) can be purchased almost anywhere for a pittance by comparison. Costco sells a set of heavy duty carpeted mats for around $20. I would also advise you to consider getting a set of "all weather" mats to use whilst it is still wet or slushy. You can get a nice 4pc set of heavy duty vinyl at Target for about $10.00.

As for things like cargo totes and the like, I again would advise you to check Target or someplace similar as they sell some great car accessories that look good, come in tan or grey and sell for very little. The cargo tote that Toyota offers is about $50. The one you can get at Target that has a zipper cover and side pockets and looks like it would hold 4 large paper grocery bags is $14.99.

Another good place to look for goodies to get for your car is PepBoys. The have some nice door edge guard that comes in a 25' roll and sells for $12.99. It can be cut to any length, comes in silver, gold or black and is enough to do more than two 4 door cars.

If you have kids, be sure that you put edge guard on the doors of all of your family cars as they will forget and may ding the heck out of your doors with nary a second thought.

Oh, and one other thing it might be nice to take with you when you go pick up your car is a favorite cd for each of your kids.

If you are like I was when I got my car, I was dying to try out all the gizmos and having a cd player in the car was a feature I had missed for ages. Consequently, I was anxious to try it out.

But the first time we rode in my car as a family, I put my stepson's Nirvana "In Utero" cd in the deck as a surprise for his first ride in the car. It helped him to feel like it was partly his car as well.

Above all enjoy your car. You have made a great choice!

And not to contradict DanMan, but every dealership that I talked to when searching for my car here in So. Cal. had LoJack pre-installed and told me that it came that way and you could either leave it on or turn it off. Makes sense as that way the dealership has a way of protecting their cars before sale

I will now have to investigate the scantool thing when my car goes in for her first check up (5,000 miles) in a few months.

Take care all & have a great weekend and a nice holiday whatever you celebrate!

Tisza