1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Serius on XM?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Fred Wacksman, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Fred Wacksman

Fred Wacksman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here's a weird question. I have a factory SAT radio which I believe to be XM. Is it possible to subscribe to Serius to play on this unit?
    Also, I've read some horror stories about subscriptions. Right now I'm cancelled and not using the SAT, but am considering asking for another promotion deal. Yesterday, XM sent me an EM promoting H.Stern. I'm not interested in him, but this was the first time they contacted me since I cancelled(my second subscription promo) ran out.
    I like the XM, but am wary and don't want to pay the full price for something I'll only use for 10-15 channels at most.
    When I cancelled, they said they would contact me about renewing, but haven't so far. That was in early December.
    2010 Prius V if that matters.
    Thanks

2. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Look at the XM site--there are $ options to add some Sirius lineups.

3. cycle11111

cycle11111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have had both the lineups are fairly close now regardless since they are the same company now. Call them up and I bet if you push you will get a reduced price - that is what I did.

4. Fred Wacksman

Fred Wacksman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the info.
    Were you already in cancel mode when you called?
    Might I ask " how much you pay"?
    Did you have any problems with XM insofar as billing?
    I asked them originally, when I cancelled, if they did an ala carte and they don't. I wouldn't mind paying $4-6 for perhaps 25 stations like they did in the past.
    I've gone back to my am-fm, discs and ipod, but I did enjoy some of their talk and music channels, but not for $12.95 a month.
    I bought this Prius last May and only have 7200 miles on it, so you can see I'm not in my car a lot.
    Our '08 only has 15,000 on it. I never did have SAT on it.
    Thanks again,
    Fred

5. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    There is a very long thread on this issue so I can well understand why you wouldn't want to enter that dark area.

In short, most people have been successful asking for the special pricing of $77 per year (plus royalties). That is for most of the channels but not for the best of sirius which costs a little bit more.

As far as I know, they don't let you pick a few channels and pay only for those. I have a lifetime subscription to Sirius for another car so I liked some of their channels but frankly, there isn't enough difference to justify paying the premium for the Sirius channels unless you live and die for that jerk, Stern.

If you don't want to pay about $9 or $10 per month, let it go.

6. LeeB

LeeB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My subscription runs out early next month. I called 2 days ago and selected "cancellation" from the phone tree. When the rep. answered I told her I would cancel unless I could have the same price as last year. She said it was available, so I renewed (~$90 with tax). Painless, no hassle, done in <5 minutes.