1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Serpentine belt in Prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mfa-prius, Feb 23, 2016.

1. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just replaced the belt in my Gen 2, and got to wondering how different it is in my wife's 2012 v. So far, I haven't even been able to find a part number for the belt in the usual on-line resources, and nothing in this forum about how to go about replacing it. Does anyone have any insight?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Well it's an invisible belt on a Prius v, with replacements for free from any dealer. That's because there are no belts.

bisco and Sergiospl like this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In each generation, Toyota makes more of the car electric and less mechanical. The serpentine belt was eliminated between 2009 and 2010. The water pump is now electric. Between Gen 1 and Gen 2 the A/C became electric.

4. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks, jimbo. No wonder I couldn't find it (it was hard enough finding it on my Gen2). The "Engine" parts diagrams for the v have a couple of belty-looking things about where a belt would be -- I now guess they're gaskets, but none of the smaller parts are identified on the diagrams.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Vibration dampener on the crankshaft still has a slot in it for a belt, as it is shared with other models that do have a belt.
    [​IMG]