1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Serpentine belt replaced 3 times in 49k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by aanimate, Jan 31, 2012.

1. aanimate

aanimate New Member

I am very concerned regarding how often my serpentine belt needs to be replaced. First time it was replaced at 104k, second time dealer replaced it at 126k, third time at 153k. Today I went for oil change (173k) and the dealer told me that it has little cracks and recommend replacing it.
    Is it normal? Could it be something else is effecting it? Or dealer trying to pull something?
    Thank you for the advice.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer is likely milking you. Learn to check it yourself. :)

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^ Probably this.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I'm still on my original at 120k...ask to see the old one before they change it and if it is worn then you need to tell them to fix the cause of premature wear.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've never heard of anyone needing even one new belt in that number of miles. Most likely the small cracks are in the dealer's wallet, so he needs to keep refilling it with cash.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  6. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'd start to question if they ever changed the belt the last 2 times. If you've had the work done at the same place each time, it's time to ask for the service manager to review your file and then sit down with you to explain why they've needed to do this service repeatedly. Ask for that explanation in writing or take copious notes. Then take it to another dealership or mechanic and ask them for a second opinion of the service manager's explanation.

And if you stay with this place for service, ask that all parts that are replaced be given to you, as well as any packaging for parts that they put in the vehicle. That way you can be sure that the parts are actually replaced and are in poor enough shape to be replaced.

1 person likes this.
  7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Either the dealer's ripping you off with unnecessary work or there's an underlying problem and they're ripping you off by not bringing it directly to your attention. The underlying problem could, of course, be incorrect installation.

1 person likes this.
  8. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yep-- another reason to bring in the service manager. It could be one of his techs is not doing good work and this is something the service manager wants to fix if he's worth a crap.

9. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That would do it for sure, also a burr on the metal wheel could cause a problem. If changed again, inspect the old one. You should be entitled to a free belt and labor by now.

10. aanimate

aanimate New Member

Thank you all so much for the input. I will be talking to them this weekend.

11. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After reading this thread, I remember seeing this page about identifying belt problems:

Troubleshooting Belt Failure - Spring/Summer Car Care | Gates Corporation

One thing that I found interesting was that they recommended belt replacement if three or more cracks were found in a three-inch section of the belt. It would appear that a few cracks across the belt do not necessarily mean that the belt needs to be replaced.

Take a look at the pictures and see if your belt has any of these problems. You will then have an idea of what needs to be done to fix it.

Hope this helps.

12. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I changed my belt simply because the car had over 100,000 miles on it so I thought it would be good insurance. It really did not need changing. Although there were a multiplicity of cracks on the underside, the thickness of all the cracks probably was 5-10 % of the total belt thickness. The topside was like new. It's a tough belt. :cheer2: I now have a spare!