1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Service Advisor forgot to schedule my car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jdcollins5, Oct 13, 2011.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I took my car in Wednesday afternoon after work to leave it for a Thursday appointment to upgrade the front and rear brakes per TSB's. The dealer had ordered the necessary parts the week before.

I went to pick up my car this afternoon after work and when I approached the Service Advisor's desk he pulled up my vehicle and then looked at me with this blank stare. He said "Do you have your insurance card with you?". The first thing I thought was what have you done with my car.

Then he walked around to the courtesy car girl and told her to set me up with a courtesy car. Then he turned to me and said that he had totally forgotten to schedule my car with the technician :eek:

At first I was just irritated that my car was not ready but then he just apologized and apologized. At least I do have a courtesy car tomorrow, 2011 Camry, and my wife will not have to do without her car.

I have had some really strange "events" happen with service departments but I have never run in to this situation. Anyone else had this happen before?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I had a 2011 Camry as a loaner, she will miss her Prius!

3. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've never dropped a car off without confirming a scheduled appointment like that. Then again, it's been awhile since I had to have any work done on a vehicle unless it broke down, or I just sucked it up and waited a few hours for it to be done.

At least the adviser made up for it by providing a rental to you. I guess since it's covered under the TSBs, there really isn't anything else he can do for you, other than maybe offer a free oil change or something for the inconvenience.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When I dropped the car off the Service Advisor acknowledged the appointment, pulled it up on the computer, and verified that the ordered parts were on hand. He asked when I planned to pick up the car the next day and entered the time in the computer.

I prefer to wait on my car rather than leave it for the entire day. This time I could not wait for the car so decided to leave it overnight and pick up the next day.

5. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I made online service reservations through my dealer's website complete with email confirmation. Upon arrival the next day they had no record of my time slot. Luckily they squeezed me in and the whole appt only took 60 minutes.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just about every time JD... that is why I now call a day or two ahead to make sure I have an appointment... ask the adviser to read back all the issues to me... call a couple of times during the day to check up on them. I am sure they hate me. :D

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've had similar: Thought I was squared away with them over some repair issue, they understood what was needed. I even had to take time off work to get the car in. Then maybe an hour after dropping it off, I get a phone call from the "service advisor", something along the lines of:

"Yes, we confirmed it, that's the problem. Now, when can you bring it in to get repaired?".

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I typically do similar and they act like it irritates them when you do this and question their abilities:cool:

The one thing I did not do was call about mid-afternoon to verify that the car was ready for pickup. I also did not get a call from them saying the car was ready. I got busy and just went straight to the dealership. I will not do that again.

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I drove the Camry to work today. Like you said, I miss my Prius :) I did not realize how boring another car is to drive after having a Prius. Nothing to watch but a speedometer and tachometer :rolleyes:

10. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh ok. Sorry, I must have mis-read or mis-interpreted what you had written. I thought you dropped it off overnight using the key drop. That said, I would be disappointed in the service adviser as well. Hopefully they'll offer something in return to try and make up for it.

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I drove a Tundra (17 MPG average 20 MPG peak) until the insurance provided a rental Camry (33 MPG average, no decent gauges). I was sure happy to get back to 47 MPG

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I read this post yesterday, and meant to comment.

I guess I just credit the OP with being so patient and forgiving. I don't like the way the whole thing was handled. IMO if the service advisor made a mistake, the first person, and the FIRST thing he should be talking to and saying is "I'm Sorry, I made a mistake" and that should be to the OP. If I'm reading the OP's post right, the first thing the service advisor said was NOT "I'm Sorry" but "Do you have your Insurance Card?".

I don't mean to sound like a hard @$$...and I realize mistakes do happen. But how you react to them is still an unfolding choice. I'd be mad that I wasn't called, and that the Service Advisor seemed clueless and then backed himself to the point of appology. At what point did he realize that no work was done? And if he knew BEFORE you arrived? Then why was there not a message on your machine/voice mail and why was your car even brought around?

No IMO, mistakes can and will happen. But I'm the customer, so if a mistake does happen, The first person that should be notified is myself...not the girl that sets up courtesy car rentals...and the first thing that should be told me is that a mistake was made...not "Do I have my Insurance Card?".

I don't know if events unfolded the way presented by the OP that I'd be so patient. The fault might be entirely mine....but it's not the mistake that is unforgivable, it's the reaction that sounds so entirely unprofessional and unprepared.

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The saga continues.... the SA called my office phone and left a voicemail that my car was ready to be picked up this afternoon. I arrive and he hands me the key and then explains that they are not through with the service yet.

The parts for the front brake TSB had been shipped and were installed. The parts for the rear brake TSB were backordered so were not shipped. He said parts department did not tell him that all of the parts were not here when he callled.

He went on to explain that the Toyota parts depot could not give him a date for the parts being available but hoped to be in a week or two. The SA says that he is keeping my service ticket open until he completes both TSB's. In the case that I go over 36k miles before the parts are received they willl complete the work under warranty.

I questioned the fact that Toyota has issued a TSB yet the parts are not available. His response was "it happens all of the time with warranty issues. Toyota only buys and issues so many of the required parts at a time." I would love to hear Sielerts comments on this.

Oh well, you can get pissed and raise hell or not. Either way it does not change anything. The SA knew that I was not a happy customer when I left. I will be glad when I get this warranty work completed and hope I do not have to go back to the dealer again.

14. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The events unfolded pretty much the way that you presented it.

15. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Just picked up mine after having the same TSBs you had done (including the one that replaced the oil drain panel). It took them about 2 weeks to receive the parts, but I dropped the car off on the day we had agreed to in person and the work was done by the end of the day. I would have been upset if it wasn't because of the wasted 5-1/2-mile bike ride through a rather treacherous stretch of highway service road. ;-)

16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

If I had to make an extra bike ride on two different occassions I would be upset too :p I am still upset at the ineptitude of the SA not only once but twice on the same service appointment.

I am waiting to see if I get a survey from Toyota like on my last service where I had a good experience. It is going to be interesting to see if you get a survey after a bad experience:)

The only bright side is that it is not my nickel they are working on and they did provide a loaner car. It is just going to cost me the inconvenience of two extra trips to the dealership.

17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update ... my SA just called to let me know that the parts for the Rear Brake Squeal TSB were in. He said if I would come in and swap cars he would put me in a loaner while they completed the TSB service. So, I will swing by this afternoon after work and pick up the loaner.

This may have a satisfactory ending after all. I will work with anyone, and give them a second chance, if they will be willing to work with me and be fair :)

18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I picked my car up last night and returned the loaner. After having both the brake TSB's completed the brakes do appear to be stronger than before. I am sure the new pads on the rear are probably most of the improvement.

They had washed and vacuummed out my car. The SA could not have been nicer and went out of his way to apologize one more time for the delays and multiple trips.

I am going to remain neutral on this dealership. I have had more good experiences than bad. I have had a couple of experiences that should not have happened.

Now that I have passed the 36k mile warranty period I plan to do the rest of my routine maintenance myself. Hopefully I will not have to return to the dealer for a long time, except to pick up DIY parts and supplies. If I do, I feel like I have a good relationship with them which may help in the future.