1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Service Dept Sales gimicks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FishHawk, Oct 14, 2008.

1. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

Had my oil changed and the service writer comes out and tells me that I need a new air filter and cabin air filter after I told him that I changed them myself. He used the ploy that the tech said that the filters were dirty!!! Then I'm handed a sheet which states that my drive belts need attention!!
    I used to work at a dealership and heard them talkiing about how much service did you sell today. On top of this the service writer asked me to give him good marks even after he told me that I needed the filters.:mad:

So, when do you need to check your dirve belts? FishHawk

2. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Your first mistake was taking your Prius into a "Stealership" for a simple oil change. Why not do it yourself?

3. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd like to respond to the "why don't you do it yourself" comments that routinely pop up here when a poster has a problem with a dealer's service department. Changing your own oil is not an option for everyone. As a mid-60's woman who has had a double knee replacement & other health problems, I am not in a position to crawl around on the floor of my garage to change the oil in my car, no matter how "easy" it is. More helpful would be comments on how to deal with unethical practices at service facilities. I applaud those with the time, knowledge, & health to do routine maintenance themselves, but many of us DIY is not an option.

4. Malarkey

Malarkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I go back and forth on doing my own. Once I find a place I trust, then I always stick with them. I might sound like a wanker, but it's really not worth my time at this point. If I enjoyed doing them, then I'd be happy to do it - but I don't.

Chalk me up as another who doesn't find it practical do it themselves.

5. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Then how about getting the same kid that mows your lawn to change your oil? Stealerships love people like you. I know people in their 90's that change their own oil. Soon enough vehicles will be designed so we won't even be able to do that.

Dealing with unethical practices by these Stealerships isn't easy for the young let alone older folks. You will spend lots of time and money in the legal system. And that is if you can catch them. Most people don't know enough about their vehicles to know they have been had by a Stealership. I guess it is a start that you are using the Internet and this forum to get educated.

6. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    what is so hard about just politely refusing anything they try and push on you? its not like when you bought the car and they practically kidnap you for 2 hours when you first got it

if they tried to tell me my filter was dirty, i would just say something like

'thank you for pointing this out. i will go to your public wifi and buy the part right now from metro for $15"

maybe i could ask them how much they sell it for, to see if it was worth getting it next day air