1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Service eats up mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jkash, May 11, 2007.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had my top glove box door replaced yesterday. It had stopped working a while ago. When I arrived at the dealership, my mpg was at 56.9. When I got the car back, it was at 54.4. The AC was on full blast on the coldest setting. The battery was down from almost full to two pink bars. I called my service writer today to ask him if it is policy to leave the car running with the AC blasting when they serviced the car. He assured me that they turned the car off when it was it the bay. He thought that perhaps the car might have been running for about five minutes while they waited to wash it. I mentioned that Prius drivers are a different breed with a different car. Most drivers would never notice something like this because their car does not tell them what their mpg is. Prius drivers will.

Anyone else seen things like this?

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't obsess about this small difference in MPG. You're getting more than most people.

Your MPG will return soon enough. You have to expect a lower MPG whenever the car is serviced: they have to move it short distances, leave it on for longer than you do, etc.

3. powphilprius

powphilprius Elshawno~

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, just accept it as a given. Same thing with the max ac, I think the tech used my car to cool off more than work on it. Probably even charged the time. Very distubing...

4. jyl

jyl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    But check the tire pressure, if you keep yours higher than Toyota recommended, they might have reset it back down.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John L. @ May 12 2007, 09:05 AM) [snapback]440548[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, ALWAYS check the TP after a trip to the shop. "Mr. X" took his 2007 to the dealer because the "brake" light lit. Dealer could find no problem with the brakes. Turns out it was the TP light. Dealer fixed the problem by setting the TP to spec. "Mr. X" borrowed my portable compressor to bring the pressure back up to the desired level.

I would also check to make sure the dimmer switch works. When my dash was pulled apart someone forgot to reconnect it. :eek: