1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Service for 2002 Prius not from dealer?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by OssiningGeorge, Nov 13, 2009.

1. OssiningGeorge

OssiningGeorge New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2002 Prius and am thinking about converting it to a plug-in hybrid. But Toyota dealers naturally will not service the hybrid parts of the car once that is done.
    Do you know of a competent service shop in Westchester for that once I have converted?
    Thanks!

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hi new poster. if your odometer is over 100,000 miles, the last warranty coverage has ended (or this may be 80 k in your state?). Anyway there is no hybrid 'service' unless one includes coolant and tranaxle fluid changes. I don't know why they'd decline to take money to perform those on a converted car.

If something breaks after you do this conversion, the repair/replacements would be at your expense. Again, I doubt that the T shop would turn down money.

As far as independent hybrid-capable shops in upstate NY, sorry I have no info.

Are you considering the Enginer lithium system, or something else?

3. OssiningGeorge

OssiningGeorge New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear tochatihu,
    Thanks for replying. It's not a matter of warranty coverage. The dealer says they will not work on the hybrid portions of the car, meaning that they will work on the other parts, which is fine, just not enough. Yes, I am considering Enginer conversion, just want to be sure all parts can be serviced after that.
    OssiningGeorge