1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Service in Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by beakyz, Oct 22, 2006.

1. beakyz

beakyz New Member

I needed to get my 5K service and called Santa Monica Toy. and they said 89.95 for the 5K. So, I decided to call the dealer where I bought it and they said 69.95. So, I called SM back to find out why there was such a big difference and couldn't get thru to the guy, left a message and he never returned my call.
    My question is, why the big discrepancy and where have people had good experiences with service departments?
    Thanks!

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(beakyz @ Oct 22 2006, 09:41 AM) [snapback]336402[/snapback]</div>
    Because they can get away with it.

Everything is more expensive in Santa Monica. Real estate is considerably more expensive there than in most other parts of Los Angeles County. That is only one reason of many why the cost of doing business there is higher. Most of the residents of that part of Los Angeles County are wealthier and they are not likely to drive 5-10 miles farther in order to save $20.

I have had good service experiences at Keyes Toyota in Van Nuys. With a coupon (off their web site) it can be as low as $30.

3. beakyz

beakyz New Member

just want to bump this

4. Stairman

Stairman New Member

There is no reason to go to a dealer for routine service. Even most of the stuff that is likely to need repair isn't beyond a good independant mechanic. You should be able to get an oil and filter change with inspection of brakes, belts, and fluids for ~$40.00 even in Santa Monica.

5. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stairman @ Oct 23 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]336827[/snapback]</div>

I've always had great luck with Discount Tires on Glendale Ave. (in Glendale). They are quick and are very honest. For example, they told me to buy my own air filter because they would have to charge me $30.00 and they even offered to put it in for me for free (I did it myself).

Here is a link to their service coupons, you can get an oil change and tires rotated for $14.95 (you have to request the tire change).
    Discount tire coupon