1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Service price

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jaytee, May 6, 2010.

1. jaytee

jaytee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I can get an filter and oil at a Jiffy Lube plus a tire rotation for $20.
    Is there a reason why I need to pay $100+ to have Toyota dealer do this + check hoses and belts?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, as long as you think Jiffy Lube will do the job correctly. Suggest you keep an eye on the car when it is being worked on.

3. Protektu

Protektu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Just as everyone has said previously - 3.9quarts!
    More = NOT BETTER

4. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also make sure they put the right oil in. I've heard a number of stories (from people I know personally) about attempted upcharges.

I just bring my own oil to Toyota service and make sure they give me an empty container(s) back. Total cost: Mobil 1 = $26 @ Wal-Mart, Service = ~$23. This will be cheaper if you use conventional oil, obviously. The empty container check is essential becuase they have not filled my car with the proper oil even though "CUSTOMER BROUGHT OWN OIL" was written in large text on the work order.

Good luck.

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jiffy Lube? Good luck...

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why would a dealer charge ~$100? Surely you aren't saying something like "I need the _,000 mile service," right? Just say "Oil change, tire rotation, safety check as per the Prius Maintenance manual"...

We do the oil changes ourselves, at home. Tires are rotated by Costco for no charge, where we bought the tires.

7. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dealers charge between $59-$120 for an oil change and tire rotation, it depends on where you live.

8. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wouldn't take my bicycle to them...................................if I had one.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have taken my car's to Jiffy for years with never a problem.usually becasue I don't have the time to do it myself.

But.....Today.....and I swear to god....I'm driving into work and I see a co-worker buddy having his car loaded onto a flatbed tow truck in the parking lot. His Honda.

I figured his car died and didn't bother him.

Caught up with him later and he said he went to JLube earlier and they must not have tightened the oil pan plug as he got just about back to work and the motor siezed. Red light came on he pulled over and smoke.
    He looked under the car and no plug....just smoke and dripping oil.

Now I can tell you when I go to a JL place I always give the dude $5 who's working the car underneath. I let him know dude tighten the filter and plug up please. Hook me up man....Make sure.

He does. I watch..in fact I can see the motor jiggling as he torques up the plug. And I usually bring them exactly 3.8 quarts of oil.
    I just pour a little out of the quart into another container back home beforehand.

They can't f' it up because I don't let them.

But give them your car and go read a magazine...thats a whole 'nother story.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    two jiffielube stories: i went once, they overfilled my 300SD. i checked it when i got home. went back and told them, the car's parked on a steep slope in the parking lot, they don't even know to move it to a flat area, just open the hood and check it. then tell me it won't hurt anything.

told my mechanic the story, he tells me about a customer who went there and same as above, they didn't tighten the plug. blown motor. and i've heard that story elsewhere. be careful, good luck. there are other places that will change your oil and rotate tires. i go to a local guy, he's pretty consciensious. $45.:)

11. roderunner

roderunner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the 3 year maintenance contract with the local Toyota dealer through Landcar who gets charged $25 (plus tax) every 4 months for my service - oil change, new filter and drain plug gasket, plus multi-point inspection, tire rotation if mileage calls for it and a car wash. I do wonder what it will be when I have to pay for it, though I will probably do it myself. When they want to change the cabin air filter, I tell them I'll do it myself and clean it with pressurized air.

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No matter who changes the oil always check the level yourself before driving away. Anyone can make an expensive mistake.

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My dealer charges $43 every 5000 miles for my 2009. Oil, filter and rotation. A 2010 would be higher, but cheaper, every 10,000.

14. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :confused: Since you're already taking the cabin air filter out it would be just so easy to replace it with a new one. Amazon or even Wally World $13-$18... same with engine air filter. These are very easy to change and if you use Toyota change intervals relatively inexpensive. :rolleyes:

15. roderunner

roderunner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It cleans up so easily and so nicely - why waste the resources? It's just a cheap (non-hepa) piece of slightly compressed (cellulose?, styrofoam?) material that filters out large dust and debris. I get long life out of the engine air filter also by cleaning it every time I service (for Prius and 86 4runner).

16. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the manual for my 2010 it shows a guy blowing air to clean the filter, so even Toyota says to do mine this way.

17. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you're comfortable using that method, go for it.:p
    I change my oil and fluids more frequently than scheduled, change the filters more frequently than scheduled, use synthetic oil rather than regular, keep a thick coat of wax on the body, and even wipe my $28,000 baby's bottom each oil change. This is probably wasteful but I'm not taking any chances pinching pennies while risking dollars. (I do pinch tooth paste tubes. :( ) Besides I enjoy taking care of her.
    I'm OCD :eek: and you're not.:p

18. sakai

sakai New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prices from my Toyota Dealer

Hey everyone - just got a few quotes from my neighborhood Toyota dealership and wanted to know if they are ballpark for what everyone else has paid.
    - cabin air filter: $46
    - synthetic oil change: $65
    - brake fluid flush: $99
    - inverter fluid change: $109
    - transaxle fluid change: $183

Obviously, I'm going to do the cabin air filter myself. I'm an apartment guy, with no friends with driveways, so the oil change can't be home done either. So based on everyone else's experience, how do the remaining items sound? are they reasonable?