1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Service recommended at 5K -- worth the trouble?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ATHiker, Jan 30, 2016.

1. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    With first oil change recommended at 10k per Toyota, does anyone ever go in for the 5k service they recommend?

i am thinking the hassel of going in for a cursory check and tire rotation at 5k seems greater than any real benefit derived, but what do others plan on.

A) Just skip the 5k service
    B) Get the 5k service per Toyota's recommendation (tire rotation but no oil change)
    C) Get the 5k service but pay for an oil change even though it's not recommended and may be a waste of good resources
    D) Something else

2. lrisius

lrisius Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I went ahead and did the 5k service. Figured it was a good chance for them to take a look and see if anything was amiss after 5k miles. They didn't find anything, hopefully they did a thorough check. If I had to pay for it, I probably wouldn't have done it. Our dealer has an express service operation for things like this and oil changes so it was pretty much stop by and wait for 20-30 minutes for them to do it.

3. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I always hit 6 months before I get to 5000 miles so I always take my car in regardless of what is on the maintenance schedule.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Think of it like the first day of school: short and relatively painless.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i had the oil changed at 5k and 15k. skipped the 10k and 20k.

kenoarto likes this.
  6. MrBillTulsa

MrBillTulsa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I like a first oil & filter change at around 2500 miles, then again at 10,000 - thereby getting on the 10k interval.

:eek:

fsu23phd and bisco like this.
  7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not worth my time. If you visit the dealer go early in the day. They don't replenish the donuts.

Ariel1000, m.wynn and bisco like this.
  8. kenichols29

kenichols29 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With my gen 3 I did my first oil change at 5k, my second at 10 k, and then after that I started 10k mile OCIs.

krmcg likes this.
  9. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm thinking of that as a go-to.

kenichols29 likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is definitely an American debate. Just to the north of you in Canada the drill is new oil and filter every 8000 km (~5000 miles) or 6 months.

Then in Alaska it's back to yearly or 10,000 miles, lol.

11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Preventative Maintenance is the same for most all cars including the Prius. Just because it doesn't break as often as the others using the "minimum" factory recommended...doesn't mean you take less care of it.

12. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    How long does it take to get an oil change/maintenance check up at Toyota? Also once our free maintenance expires and or we have trouble with our car, is it better to go to local mechanics for better prices or should we to go Toyota since they probably know more about Prius' than the average mechanic? Where should we go if our screen, mirror etc. isn't working? Can non official Toyota mechanics order parts from Toyota to fix something like the blind spot mirrors?

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    about an hour, but it varies from dealership to dealership, depending on how organized they are.
    you'll get different opinions on what to do for non free/warranty service. if you have a trusted mechanic, she can do any and all service depending on her level of knowledge.
    a good mechanic will tell you when something is over their head, and to take it to the dealer. many of the complicated systems have 3, 5, 8 or 10 year warranty, so you have plenty of time to look around. if not take it to the dealer until you find one.
    yes, anyone can order toyota parts, even us.(y)

cyberpriusII likes this.
  14. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bisco! (y)

m.wynn, DonD, bisco and 2 others like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i must have had a seƱor momento.:p

m.wynn and krmcg like this.
  16. zor

zor Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does any one have the pre delivery check list from the dealer, would be nice to give it a one over make sure it was done properly....thanks.

17. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Free tire rotation, free fill up of washer fluid and what have you, and a professional once over.... Absolutely get it done. You will be in and out and your tires will thank you.

Plus free Coffey and Donuts :)

18. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh gosh, first day of school is a good analogy. For me though, it is long and grueling. Nothing is learned and there is plenty of waiting and roll calling listening intently for your name to be called.

It's free, why not? I brought it in for 5, 10, 15, & 20. I didn't get an appointment for the 5 and it was a 4 hour wait. I did get them to turn off the backup beep although the service advisor annoyingly told me they couldn't do it. Then paused for dramatic effect while my anger built up just say, they can only change it to one beep. Jerk!

For the 15, I made an appointment and it took 4 hours, same as the 10k appointment which included an OCI.

I couldn't bear to bring it in for the 25k. Been doing 10k maintenance ever since. Don't follow what I do. Obviously, my experience is dealer specific. They always had coffee, doughnuts, and fast WiFi.

19. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    4 hrs for a routine 5k interval service with an appt is insane. Everytime l've taken my 3 Prius (2 past, 1 present) for any dealer provided service it's only ever taken 1-2hrs max or so..??

I'll edit to say 4 hrs is insane if they know you are waiting for you car and it's not a drop off...

20. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My oil was changed at 1k, 5k and every 5k thereafter. Based on owning 50 cars over my lifetime and driving a car with start stop that allows an accumulation of water in the crankcase, I believe in changing the oil and not the engine. If I were accumulating more highway miles per 6 months, I might stretch it a bit. At 7500 a year, I don't adhere to the 6 month rule. I do check oil levels and tire pressures myself.

My 5k was free. I get a ride home from the dealer van. I don't wait.

I'm the guy you want to buy a used car from.