1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Service showing many issues on Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by voldo, Nov 14, 2017.

1. voldo

voldo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Had my 2008 prius service at toyota dealer. Apparently it has signs of a waterpump leak and it failed the hybrid safety check. No details given as to why it failed hybrid battery check, told by dealer rep that further diagnosis needed to find out why it failed which costs lots of money. I am sceptical as the car has been running fine. The rep also said back brake pads 60% worn, front brake pads 70% worn and had a price to change them as well. My main concern is my mpg is averaging about 35mpg. I am also concerned why it failed the hybrid battery test, can the low mpg and hybrid battery failure be linked? Should the dealer given a report into the hybrid battery failing?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

low mpg can have many causes, and dealers are in business to make money.
    so let's go over a few things to see where you are at.
    how many miles on her?

3. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    R U N !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And find another, this time, qualified dealer. If there was ANY "safety" issue with the HV pack or system, you would have warning light(s) and DTCs. This STEALership is fishing for work!

Did I say RUN?

Andyprius1 likes this.
  4. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your words, “The car has been running fine” Stick to your instincts, many of the water pumps seep a bit. Check all your fluid levels, radiator, inverter. As to 35 mpg that’s more serious, check the air intake just after the air filter, Always try rebooting, doesn’t hurt anything. As for brake pads, I always ride the brake, as that is the charging assist, in drive or brake position. You should not have that type of wear. Iv never changed brake pads on a Prius. If the previous owner coasted in neutral a lot and hit the brakes in neutral, only then would you have that much brake wear. How many miles on the car.

5. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Agree, get another opinion.

6. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As an aside, a seeping water pump will not suddenly turn into a major problem as long as coolant level is maintained in the ENGINE system. There is NO low coolant warning on cars and all you get for temperature is a thermometer looking warning lamp.... it's too late at that point.

7. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One of the pertinent suggestions made to me by Patrick was to check temps all around the water pump e with a infrared thermometer gun including engine, radiator water, inverter coolant, etc. Also good to have around the house too.

8. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Poor mileage and worn brake pads. Jack up all 4 wheels, with the car in neutral, the wheels should turn easily with NO drag. You are the second owner?

9. voldo

voldo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for the replies, I am 3rd owner. This is an official toyota dealer. Mileage is 89000, car not used as a taxi. In my country we have an MOT which is compulsory every year, which checks the lights, brakes, pads, tyres etc and the car passed that a month before the service. If there was a waterpump leak, the garage who done the MOT would have noticed it. There is no warning lights on the dashboard. I drive the car mostly local like within one mile radius. Out of all the things mentioned, I am concerned about the battery failure. Is there any way I can check the hybrid engine myself?

10. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A compression test.

11. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We really need something like the MOT in the states, way too many vehicles on the road that are anything but roadworthy.

In other news, you can gauge the health of the HV battery by driving it at low speeds on level ground with the engine fully warmed up. If you can only drive blocks in electric mode, no matter how gentle you are, that suggests the HV battery is getting weak. A good HV battery can go up to about 8 MILES in EV mode (engine off, <25 MPH on level ground) as I have done so a couple times; both before and after our HV pack failed a module that I replaced.

12. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The garage who done the MOT may not be as good as you think, I would report them to the official agency that certifys the business to do MOTS. If I remember correctly that inspection is basically a safety inspection.
    So, they may not be interested in operation. Go talk to them.