1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

service station/dealership for first 5000mile checkup

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by joeuser, Aug 12, 2009.

1. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

I'm going to be needing the oil change and tire rotation done (along with the usual checks, fluid replenishments, etc) after my first 5000 miles of driving.

I'm work around the Westbury/Hempstead (long island NY) area and live in Elmhurst/Queens (NY) so I was hoping I can make an appointment for service at a dealership in between somewhere one of these days.

Can anyone around here make a suggestion as to what I should be paying for these services and what service station would you recommend. This is going to be the first service I will have done on a car as this is the first time I've owned a car.

Any suggestions will be definitely appreciated.

regards,
    Joe

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The oil change and tire rotation at my dealership runs around $50. Only do the service outlined in your maintenance manual. Also, make sure they do not overfill with oil. I always specify 3.5 quarts.

3. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure why I didn't think of this earlier. I noticed that my prius doesn't stop the stuttering in engine braking mode ("B" mode driving, rather than "D") when i'm stopped at a stop sign or at a traffic signal. Normal driving ("D" mode) brings the car to a complete stop without issues.

Is this issue in B-Mode normal or is this something I should have checked out.

regards,
    Joe

4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At 5000 miles all you really need is your first oil change. Save some money and get it done right by doing it yourself. The Prius is a very easy oil change.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...39094-how-change-oil-your-prius-pictures.html

The vehicle either must not have been warmed up, had a low SOC, or you were using the heater. The B-mode should only be used when going down the steepest of grades such as coming out of the mountains. Otherwise you will get poor fuel mileage.

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yes DIY oil change if possible. If not then at least check the oil level and the cap being tightened yourself after the dealer is done. Keep an eye on the oil level and watch out for leaks afterward. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you. :)

6. dbz

dbz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, I agree, DIY is a better deal. In Calif, the dealer charges $89.95 for this 5,000 miles services! What a rip-off!

7. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ummm, Joe. Why are you in B mode at a stop light? That mode is for long downhills when your b attery's already full.... otherwise you're throwing energy away.

8. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't know that. I was under the impression that when you let go of the accelerator, the slow down is more frictional as to charge the battery rapidly, otherwise it should behave the same as in D mode. The only issue i had was why was it stuttering when i was completely stopped in B-Mode. Is that normal? if so I can move on, if not I need to have it looked at when i bring the car for service.