1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Servicing a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wynder, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Wynder

Wynder New Member

I'm about 1 month into my 3 month list for an '06 Prius (package 6 or 7, I still haven't decided yet...) and I was wondering, with regards to the combustable engine part of the vehicle, what's the service like?

Have to get anything flushed or lubed? Oil changes every 3000 miles?

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll preface this by saying I know little about engine repair, etc., but the manual for my '05 says oil changes every 5,000 miles or 6 months.

From experience, I've had my Prius for a year now, and its second oil change is to take place today. I've only had the Prius in the shop one other time, and that was for the first oil change. The "non-hybrid" parts function and - as far as I know - are repaired much like a conventional vehicle.

3. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is really very little to do. Change oil and filter and rotate tires every 5000. Then, the cabin filter and air filter at 30,000 I think. Spark plugs, coolent, tranny oil change and other maintenance duties stuff all put off to 100,00 miles.
    -Paul R. Haller-

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll also mention that your new Prius should come with a handy maintenance schedule/log booklet that will tell you what regular preventative maintenance should be done and when. It also helps you keep track and document past maintenance done to the car. Show it to your Toyota service staff whenever you get the oil changed, rotate the tires, etc. and there will be little question about what needs to be done.

From John's site:
    http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-maintain04.htm

Or directly from Toyota (in PDF format):
    http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/pdfs/..._service_05.pdf