1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sesame Street Not for Kids

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Proco, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/magazine...amp;oref=slogin
    http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?...mp;in_page_id=2
    Having cut my teeth on Sesame Street during this particular era, I can see that there are probably some things in there that don't really fly today. Times have changed, and the show has changed with the times. But I don't know that these episodes are all that bad, either.

I'm inclined to think there's more than a little overreacting going on here. How many of us are smokers because Cookie Monster ate a pipe? Heck, how many of us are now obese because Cookie Monster was a poor nutritional role model? Did anyone out there become a sarcastic curmudgeon because of Oscar the Grouch?

I think we all need to unbunch our collective undies.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, for Pete's sake. Sure, there was humour aimed at the parents watching with their kids, but that made it all the better. Monsterpiece Theatre and Vincent Twice are classics. I suppose The Muppets are verboten, too?

Oh wait - you mean Bert and Ernie were gay? Horrors. Oh, how naive could I be? I was tricked. Betrayed! By the very people I thought were educating me! I'm crushed. Life will never be the same.

Umm...yeah. Far better the little people watch the evening news instead. That still gives me nightmares.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Nov 20 2007, 03:01 PM) [snapback]542102[/snapback]</div>

Hey! I resemble that remark!

4. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 20 2007, 04:45 PM) [snapback]542136[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I think you hit on the problem. Parents don't watch with their kids anymore. The DVD player is the new babysitter. I'll admit that some things they did back then weren't the best ideas. Having the adults think that Big Bird was telling fibs about Snuffleupagus, for example. You don't want kids thinking they can't tell adults anything.

Other than things like that, this has overreaction written all over it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 20 2007, 07:30 PM) [snapback]542198[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I thought Seame Street was for Gang Bangers :huh: :unsure: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    [​IMG]

WoW , Im gonna take it that this is the view of the new Politicaly Correct People :eek: :blink: :mellow:

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    talk about overreaction :rolleyes:

the content of tv has gotten less and less appropriate for children over the years and they pick out sesame street? what about all the graphic crime dramas? wouldn't that give a 3 year old nightmares to see a simulation of someone taking a bullet to the chest when mom and dad are watching tv? how is cookie monster eating cookies WORSE than that?

7. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Oscar was always my favorite. But then I always liked Eeyore, too.

8. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Nov 20 2007, 04:01 PM) [snapback]542102[/snapback]</div>
    I know I watched more than my fair share of Sesame Street. I even 'smoked' bubble gum cigarettes while watching it. Chances are that I would play with my cap gun afterward. I've never touched a real gun or cigarette in my life, so chances are that I may have escaped any permanent damage from watching too much sesame st. :)