1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Set" button under steering wheel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by KieferSkunk, Apr 23, 2007.

1. KieferSkunk

KieferSkunk Technogeek

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi everyone. I'm new on this forum, and I just bought a new '07 Barcelona Red Prius (Package #5 / NL - got Nav, didn't get leather). I upgraded from an '05 Driftwood Pearl (Package #9 - Nav) and sold the older Prius to my father-in-law, who is enjoying it immensely. :)

He asked me what the "Key" button under the steering wheel was for, and I learned through this forum that it enables/disables the Smart Key/Smart Start system. Thanks for the info! I discovered that in my new '07, there's another button in the same spot, printed with a roundish shape followed by the word "SET". Any idea what that button is for? I couldn't find any topics on here that discussed it, and I also don't recall seeing anything about it in my manual (or don't know where to look).

I haven't tried pushing it yet. :)

Thanks!

2. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KieferSkunk @ Apr 22 2007, 10:37 PM) [snapback]428194[/snapback]</div>
    This button is used to RESET the Tire Pressure Sensor System.
    The following post explains about this system:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=355951

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, KieferSkunk! Like TAO said, it resets the TPMS, so you want to check and adjust your cold tire pressure before pushing it. This is important if you decide to run a higher tire pressure, as some members on here do. Set the pressure in your tires, then set the TPMS. If you change tires, there is another reset, in the setup menu of the Nav menu.

4. KieferSkunk

KieferSkunk Technogeek

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Apr 23 2007, 02:05 AM) [snapback]428214[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks muchly! :)

5. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I pressed it, and a little sign on the dash lit up saying, "Please Do Not Press This Button Again"... :p

I just noticed this button over the weekend and didn't know what it was, so thanks for asking the question!

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Warwind @ Apr 24 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]429023[/snapback]</div>
    Pressing it again after receiving this message arms the ejector seat. :D

7. rashidnazirsons

rashidnazirsons New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    please tell me the procedure of remote key along with under steering button?

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The SKS key button under the steering wheel is used to disable the SKS. In other words, if you don't want your smart keys to work, press the button under the steering wheel.

There are not many reasons to do this, so generally this button is not used.

It can be used to help save your 12V battery if you park your Prius for an extended period, such as at an airport.

Tom

9. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That button is intended only for Bruce Willis to push when he's on an asteroid.

10. Prius Newb

Prius Newb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I went away for a few weeks and had a friend come by to run my Prius and check on the house. I DID NOT disable the SKS with the "Key" button. He claims he came by two days ago and the car started fine. Today, car wouldnt start, got it started with a "jump" then had to jump it a second time later in the day.

1 - Does disabling the SKS make a huge difference to the 12v battery?
    2 - Recommendations on recharging the 12v battery (its about 1 year old)

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    doesn't sound right. i go away every winter for 5 weeks, leave everything on, and the battery is fine when i get home. could he have left a light on or door ajar?
    you need a trickle charger for sealed batteries. 4 amps i think. there are threads here with specific models.
    what did you replace the oem battery with, another toyota?

12. Prius Newb

Prius Newb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

i think he left soemthing on. cant be sure, but i'm guessing after he drove it and put it in garage it was on battery power. didnt hear engine running so he got out and walked away leaving something on.

was replaced with an aftermarket yellow top battery. I believe Optima brand, but not 100% sure

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he couldn't have left the car on, or it would still have been on when you got home. plus, that wouldn't kill the battery. could be a door not completely latched. if it's an optima, you can check their website for charging info, they will take a faster charge rate than the oem yuasa battery. maybe 10 amps, not sure though.
    it's also possible you got a defective optima. recharging and check will confirm either way.

a lot of people are using ctek chargers.

#13 bisco, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016