1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Setting TPS to the correct position?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by JJLINK, Jul 30, 2011.

1. JJLINK

JJLINK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Can anyone tell me how to set TPS to the correct position? I removed it while cleaning the throttle body, and now I can't seem to get it positioned correctly. The engine keeps revving its self while in park. I read AllData's instruction about starting with a 15 degree rotation to the right and then adjusting it using a Toyota hand held meter (which I don't have). Any ideas?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's unfortunate that you removed the TPS as that was unnecessary. The spring-loaded throttle shaft will pivot 90 degrees and you can rotate this by hand when the car is IG-OFF. This gives you good access to clean the throttle body interior and throttle plate.

I suggest that you will need to have your local Toyota dealer service dept adjust the TPS correctly.

3. freidawg

freidawg Prius Recycler

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A couple of options here. TIS has a procedure, but it does require techstream.

Buy a used throttle body and bolt it on.

Go to a dealer or independent toyota shop and have the set it. (towing+labor =??)

Eric