1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Setting up the ASL

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Philmo, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Philmo

Philmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Can anybody tell me how to setup the ASL in a 2007 w/package #4? There's only brief mention of it in the manual and no mention of settings.

I have cycled the ASL button on the touch screen in different driving conditions -- freeway, city, mountain roads -- and notice no changes in sound or changes with the small speaker/sound icon just below the ASL button. I would expect that there'd be a sensitivity setting for how much "gain" one wants to employ.

thanks!

2. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was wondering about that too. I assume it's an audio compression system to raise the volume of low level sounds when the ambient noise level is high. As much as we audio buffs worship high dynamic range, it is not really a good thing in a car.

3. Philmo

Philmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lenjack @ Dec 10 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]360134[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, since nobody else has stepped up I'll add what little I've discovered since my original post - whether it is the correct operation or not.

On the freeway yesterday, turning up the CD ever higher to hear tunes over various pavement changes, I turned the ASL off, then back on. Voila! The little soundwave icon below started to work and the volume was enhanced. So, in the software business we'd ask, "feature or flaw"? To me, if I'd set it to "on" once I would expect it to remain that way until I turned it off. I would not expect to have to reset it everytime I got in the car and used the audio system. I don't have to reset the sound equalizer and I don't have to reset the left/right/front/rear setting. Why this?

4. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My ASL stays on after a restart.

5. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My 5th Toyo is in barn 2011 prii. ALS on and still using manual ASL (my hand/thumb) to adjust volume. Dealer/servce tech's still don't know what ASL means. Will try turning it on and off and back on durring operation to see if that works.