1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sexual Offenders

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Schmika, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I just recently read a news article talking about a law in Florida that registered sex-offenders are banned from hurricane shelters. They will have to go to a local jail.

It made me think. Many of you know I am an active city cop. I am concerned that citizens get a "false" sense of security with many of these laws and regulations that purport to help them. I am not just talking about sex offenders, but I can use it to make a point.

Sex offenders are banned from shelters- result, people in shelters let down their guard because they are safe there. Does anyone think sex offenders have a big "S" on their forehead? Do police stand at the door the shelters checking every person through the crime computer?

Does anyone know how MANY sex offenders there are? The jails could not hold them on top of the locked up persons (we won't go into the "tough luck, let them drown" scenario)

Laws prohibit sex offenders from living within 1000 ft or more of a school. So if you live closer than that you are safe, because there is now a force field around you.

The VAST majority of sex crimes to children come from within your family or circle of friends. No LAW will keep them away if you invite them in.

Pedophiles are very discriminating. IF you are the kind of person who checks the web for registered offenders, you can't find out if the offenders close by are a risk to your specific child. If they like pre-pubescent boys, then your 14 yr old daughter is not at risk.

This same mindset works on homeland security (have you ever experienced the security guards who just "glance" in purses and bags). My wife's black .38 revolver is invisible at the bottom of her black purse.

We now have this great bureaucratic Homeland security administration and federalized TSA at the airports and now we are safe. (really???)

Basic safety is an individual thing and the more the collective society turns that over to "The Government", the less safe we are. These laws that we all like to see sound great but they are only words on paper. YOU are your own best defense (and your family's defense as well)...and your neighborhoods, your communities, etc. Don't rely on us (the polce/gov't) for anything short of "after the fact" clean up and doing the dirty work when everything has gone to hell.

Any thoughts????

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You bring up a good point. When I heard on the news that these laws will be put in place, I do feel safer. And you are right, it's almost impossible to enforce these "laws".
    Just like the random search in NYC subways after the London bombing. I personally think that won't stop any terrorists. But people say they FEEL safer. :roll: With millions of people riding the subway everyday, there's no way you can stop one or two terrorists out of a million normal citizens.

Scott

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I think the best thing we can do (as you point out) is to be as informed as possible, and to be careful -- don't assume that we're in a "safe zone".

On the other hand, don't be paranoid -- use common sense, and judge what things are more likely to occur. I.e., driving and crossing the streets are the mostly likely ways (by far) to get killed.

I'm a block watch captain for my neighborhood; our local police department sends me a flyer when a registered sex offender moves anywhere within a 15 mile radius. I then forward these notices to people in my neighborhood.

The main thing is, we keep an eye out for one another -- if we see somebody we don't know handing around a house, we call the neighbor at work, and check; if need be, we then call the police.

This works surprisingly well, though it's not a panacea. And I think that, knowing who your neighbors are, and saying hello to them every day, makes for a more pleasant neighborhood.

(Now if the Mayor doesn't cut funding for the police's neighboorhood watch program. :( He wants to fund a streetcar to Paul Allen's BioTech wonderland at South Lake Union instead. :cussing: )

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just how bad is it? Enter your zip code here:
    http://www.registeredoffenderslist.org to see how many live nearby [you].

Most people will be surprised just how many have broken some law that requires them to be registered.

5. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would completely agree Scmika with your thoughts. Even in Lubbock they are building a "sex-offender free neighborhod" in which no registered sex-offender can live.

All of these laws I agree are meant to make us feel safe, but do little to actually help our safety. Especially as you mentioned that a person is much more likely to know who assaults them rather then a complete stranger (which makes it worse for the child). I think laws like the ones in Florida and the neighborhood in Lubbock stems from an subconscious need to rationalize that sex offenders are abnormal, dirty, people that are inherently bad, rather than face that fact that they are your family members, friends, etc, etc. What they do is wrong, but to cast them as a creature far different from the rest of society puts society's children at risk because we can't face our shortcomings and educate about them.

I won't even get into the punishment with little or no attempt at rehabiliation.

You also had a good point that not all sex offenders have the same pool of victims. They are many different types of sex offenders and many reasons why they do the things they do. Until society understands this and starts to really learn why this happen (versus these types of knee-jerk reactions), the prevalence will get worse and worse.

I have a unique position from many in that I have a family memheiber that is currently in prision for a sex crime and will have to become a registered sex offender when they get out. Conversing with them, I see the impact that hearing about these types of things has, and how it can taint their view on society. This person is trying to get help through therapy and admitting their wrongs, but being treated as an outcast/outsider makes it harder for them to make a successful recovery.

(Note: It makes recovery harder, not impossible. While this IMO makes them more likely to reoffend, it does not make them, offenders make a choice to do that.)

6. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think there should be sex offender free zones (buffer zones around high risk areas - schools, etc). There are plenty of other places to live. They showed a sex offender (children) that lived across the street from an Elementary school here on TV, but there is not law against it here.

Nothign is fool proof and if he wanted to do it again there is not much to stop him, but every little bit helps. It is better than doing nothing. It is still the responsibility of the parents to keep an eye on their child (and be involved with them so you know what is going on in their lives).

7. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

As much as I might feel for Michael and his family member, the stories are too far reaching and horrific. This is definitely, to me, an area where we must be incredibly careful to protect the innocent as much as possible. In my view, the sex offender should bear the moral equivalent of the scarlet letter. If this appears to be a violation of the offenders rights, so be it. In spite of the many contentions that recovery is rare if not non-existent, I believe in recovery. Nonetheless, the offender has done something that demands that the public is forever protected from as much as we can. I am respectful of what Schmika says as well as disappointed to find out what some of what he is telling us. But our vigil must be universal and include as much as possible.

8. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I see some of you have noticed part of my point being that we are possibly unwilling to do what is REALLY needed. I would never profess to do nothing. I agree that we should do as much as possible. I fear our knee-jerk rules are based in feelings and not in fact. An analogy would be wanting to use a net to catch shrimp in the ocean, but using a net with 4" holes.

Most sexual offenders are known to the family. Parents who allow these people near their kids should "lose" their kids. Most pedophiles (not rapists, adult molesters, etc) WILL repeat if given the opportunity. Take away the opportunity as in life in prison or life in a supervised facility.

Offer conditions to be unsupervised such as GPS monitoring or drugs that repress sexual urges. HEY, this is only AFTER they have committed the crime.

Find the common threads for different threats, list them in order, and start working on the worst, first. There does not seem to be any rationale basis for how we are doing things now.

Thanks for your replies.

9. prius04

prius04 New Member

Thanks Schmika for bringing this up. In terms of Homeland Security and airplane safety, I personally feel we are wasting tons of money to make planes safer. Some of it is well spent, but most of it is wasted.

I think the single biggest reason that a plane has not been commandeered again since 9/11 is not the billions of dollars we have spent, but because of what happened on United Airlines Flight 93 in Pennsylvania.

I am not a particulary brave man, nor am I at all suicidal. And the last time I got in a fist fight was the 4th grade. But there is no way in hell I would ever let any plane I was on be taken over by anyone. I'd rather die trying to take it back, or die driving that plane into the dirt. But NO WAY would I let that plane be used as a weapon. (And that includes protecting GW -- in Washington OR Crawford -- and most FHOP readers know how I feel about him.)

And there is no doubt in my mind that the overwhelming majority of passengers on any plane would join me.

The terrorists know this.

I wonder if there is a way to teach child molesters a similar lesson, but that gets into vigilantism which has no place in a civilised society.

10. popoff

popoff New Member

I'm a "Guardian ad Litem", a volunteer that is appointed by the Court to be the advocate for the child in cases of abuse or neglect. We suspect many of the cases we deal with involve some sort of sexual abuse but we can rarely document it.

One topic not adressed here in any depth yet is the sexual abuse of children in their homes by their parent(s) or relatives. I read once that 1 out of 4 young girls have been sexually molested by a parent or relative. If true, that's a shocking statistic.

The most unfortunate part of this terrible crime is that the biggest part of them go unreported due to the childs' reluctance to speak out or, worse yet, an adult not believing them if they do talk about it.

Coincidentally, I recently viewed "The Woodsman", a 2004 film dealing with a sex offender (Kevin Bacon) just released from jail. My impression was that it was a reasonably accurate depiction of the struggles that these people face once they have been "rehabilitated" and returned to society.

11. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    IMO, these stories do an injustice because they lead the majority of people to assume that as long as they tell their kids to stay away from strangers they will be okay. Yet in reality, to keep our children safe we need to first look at our immediate family members and friends. This doesn't preclude us from keeping an eye on those that are sex offenders. I'm not sure where we are disagreeing on as I never said they should be allow to roam free without any restrictions or guidance.

Rather, my post was to get people thinking about how society could focus on how to help heal them, instead of just making sure they don't reoffend). Because if you help heal the person (since so many of those that are sexual offenders were victims themselves) then they won't reoffend, either.

12. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Micheal,

I disagree with your premise that we should focus more on how to heal. I said earlier, and I repeat, most pedophiles cannot be "fixed" by any of our current methods. All we can do is keep them away from kids.

I challenge the premise that most sexual offenders were molested themselves. You will find most of this is "self" reported. What a convenient way to garner sympathy.

We must also be careful how we define molestation. I challenge the statistic that 1 in 4 girls will be molested. I suppose I can accept it if we include a 13 yr old grabbing the butt or breast of another 13 yr old in a fit of "stupidity". Or supposed "verbal" molestation (hey baby, hubba, hubba)

Using this definition waters down the true molestations that occur. We don't investigate a lot of rapes in our city, but over 3/4ths of them turn out to be (factually, not opinions) a variation of the "I got caught cheating on my spouse-S/O" and had to make a cover story" We don't clear these this way unless we get a re-cantation.

I think we need to re-think how we punish drug users (so I do disagree on a lot of our thinking on get tough on criminals) I am particularly worried about sexual molestors and rapists because the results of our willingness not to do something about it is too devastating to our society.

13. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:ed6222bbab]FWIW...I have one question, sort of. And I am not trying to start a flame war here.

But what did we do, as a society, before all of this information about potential sexual offenders was available to us?
    This is not a new crime by any means. So what did we do? I think we had better neighborhoods. For one, people knew each other better...We knew our neighbors.

But I still wonder, what did we do. How did we get by. Was this a crime that had no punishment until recently? I'm not trying to be flip. As a former victim my self, I know at the time, I kept it to myself. Now as an adult, I think about it a lot. And I often wonder, if I had been a child today, and the same thing happened to me...what would I have done.

Sorry. Don't mean to drag this OT.

[/font:ed6222bbab]