1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SF body shop?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by aabbas, Nov 4, 2005.

1. aabbas

aabbas New Member

Hi All,

I ran into another car at low speed... I hit his rear corner bumper with my front corner, and I dragged the side of my front bumper, then my plastic wheel cover, then my fender panel, before I hit the brakes. The fender was the only one that got deformed, pushed in a little. I think it's probably trashed. The other guy was a teenager in a Reliant K car, and he didn't want to do anything about it, so we drove our separate ways.

I don't have collision insurance for myself, so I'll be paying to fix it. I'm planning to have just the fender panel (i.e. the one around the wheel) replaced and painted. I got three quotes so far from body shops on the San Francisco Peninsula: $400, $800, and $1700. I've had some experience with the $1700 shop, I know they'll do a great job, but it seems like maybe I could spend less and still be happy. I don't need perfection, but I don't want to have to repaint it in two years because the first paint job cracks and peels.

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice? I work in South San Francisco, my wife works in Palo Alto, and we live in Belmont, so almost anywhere on the Peninsula would be OK.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    aww. sorry to hear that. no suggestions since i'm clear across the country. just wanted to express my sympathy.

have you checked on warranties related to shop repairs? a good shop should stand behind their work and offer a good warranty. also it's best to go with ASE certified body shop techs but i'm sure you knew that.

good luck, sorry to hear about your car damage :(

3. carol425

carol425 New Member

Hi Alex,

I am sorry to hear that you got into a minor car accident a few months ago. I also got into a minor car accident yesterday and damaged my left fender exiting a parking lot onto El Camino in San Mateo. It was my fault. Fortunately, the commuter van I hit didn't get damaged at all.

I was wondering which quote you ended up with? How much did it cost and how did the job turn out? Would you recommend your body dealer? Today I am going to go to some autobody dealers to get some quotes. My friend suggested going to www.junkyardog.com to have them help me locate junkyard parts to keep costs down. However, it's probably very unlikely to find a prius in the junkyard.

I would appreciate any information you could provide me with. Happy Holidays.
    Carol :)