1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shaded windshield?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by darelldd, Apr 21, 2006.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So there I was, all alone on the freeway doing 65, and PING. Out of nowhere (I mean literally - I have NO clue where it could have come from!), a rock puts a big ol' star in my pristine windshield. Less than 1000 miles on the thing! OK... so I had my tinter put a shading strip of tint across the top of the windshield... and I'm wondering - doesn't Toyota make shaded windshields for these things? If not, I'll have to pay to have the strip put back on yet again (just had it done a month ago, sigh). Would LOVE to have factory shading up there instead of the film. You guys have any clue if that's available? Doubtful, or it would come with the vehicle as standard, I'd imagine!

2. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 21 2006, 02:02 AM) [snapback]243038[/snapback]</div>

Sorry dd about your windhield. Can't help with the tinti,.. Just express my OUCH. I live in an area where there is alot on gravel mining/production, so I live in 'fear' with this as I take the roads. I have practically pulled off the highway to let a gravel/cement/construction truck get far enough ahead. BUT, as with your situation, it can just come from nowhere. (You sure it was a rock?)

3. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Catskillguy @ Apr 21 2006, 04:16 AM) [snapback]243062[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the commiseration, at least! If it wasn't a rock, it was some other small, hard, dense object. I never saw it coming or leaving, so it wasn't a bird or anything similar. Could have been a bolt dropped from an airplane over me???? Who knows. All I know is that smomething wacked the windshield hard enough to put a big start in it, and even though I was dutifully looking out the windshield, I never saw the thing that did it. I guess I'll call some glass places and see what's available.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow... I had rocks hit the windshield pretty hard before but they always leave a chip, not a star. Maybe you could ask Toyota if the replacement windshield can be had with the windshield shading.

5. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 20 2006, 11:02 PM) [snapback]243038[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry to hear about that Darrell...that blows. I had three "stars" on my Explorer's windshield--one of which turned into a three foot long crack at the very bottom of the windshield. Because of that, I've been extremely paranoid of driving behind anything that might kick up rocks. I was driving behind a huge gravel truck the other day that actually had a sign on the back saying, "not responsible for damage". Can you believe it? The huevos on that guy...you sure as hell are responsible if you don't cover your load properly. I just avoid driving behind ANY truck with my Prius. ;)

Anyway...I digress. Are you looking to replace the whole thing or are you going to just fix the star with that expoxy stuff? If you want to get shading done, I would think it's possible if you rub enough money on it. ;) It certainly looks better than tint, but I bet it costs a ton in comparison.

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, I now know that there is so shaded glass available for the Prius II. The glass place figures that shaded glass will be available from quality aftermarket venders eventually but not yet. I'm going to try and have the star repaired first since that costs me nothing.

7. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I win. My first rock chip happened with less than 500 miles B)

8. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nmrickie @ Apr 21 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]243287[/snapback]</div>
    Aw. Sucks....

OK, so I do have a bit of good news - but you only get that after the bad news.

The guy came out today to repair the chip. When pressure was applied, ZIP went the webs. The cracks are huge now, so replacement is mandatory. My repair guy called around a bit and found that there's no shaded windshield for the 2006, but surprise! There is one for the 2004, so I'll be putting that in. Will I have the first 2006 with a shaded windshield!? Stand by for more exciting windshield news....

9. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Heh heh -- you "rock" darelldd! :p

10. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Apr 21 2006, 02:43 PM) [snapback]243355[/snapback]</div>
    Just a little update here.

There exists shaded windshields for the 2004 and 2005. Nobody can figure out why they are not "confirmed" to also fit the 2006. They cost twice as much as the un-shaded ones, of course, so I'll have to pay the extra since my insurance will only pay to replace with what the car came with - regardless of the fact that I've paid to have the tint strip added to my windshield that is now broken.

So now I'm wavering... do I try the 2005 and be the pioneer in confirming that there are NO differences with the 2006 glass? Or do I take the easy/cheap way? Probably the risky/expensive tint way... if I know me.

11. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Let us know.
    The 06 windshield appears to be exactly the same as the 04/05 and most of us will be replacing our windshields at sometime.